Thread: Let's talk about kernels

Let's talk about kernels

Real newbie question here, so please bear with me:

One of the things I like about Knoppix and its derivitives is that, they are set up to boot more than one kernel (usually either 2.4 or 2.6). This provides a template for adding more kernels as an option to boot; which is just what I need...

I've got an older Linux game (Railroad Tycoon), and it runs on the 2.2 kernel. So I've downloaded a 2.2 kernel from kernel.org, but it is named as:

linux-2.2.0.tar.gz

That is, archived and compressed. But when I look at the installed kernels in /boot, I see them named as:

vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-kanotix-8

Or some such. This kernel file is only about 2MB in size, so can I assume that it is also compressed, but just named differently? So in order to use the 2.2 kernel, should I rename it vmlinuz... after moving it to /boot and then reference it in Grub after that?

Also, I'm thinking that the kernel is just the tip of the iceberg; in that the game may be expecting an older version of X server/gui environment... Am I looking at making my system take a big step back in time, or just some minor adjustments?

Possibly this post should have gone under Linux Gaming. If so, I'm sure the mods can move it.
    Steve

Advisor
    1) a 2.2 kernel may possibly break a current distro. depending on what features/capabilities are assumed in the development of your glibc (read: what headers they were compiled against, you can check this by looking in /usr/include/asm/)

2) try running the game on your current kernel with LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 ie...

Code:
    $ LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 ./railroad_tycoon

Quote Originally Posted by maccorin
    1) a 2.2 kernel may possibly break a current distro. depending on what features/capabilities are assumed in the development of your glibc (read: what headers they were compiled against, you can check this by looking in /usr/include/asm/)

2) try running the game on your current kernel with LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 ie...

Code:
    $ LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 ./railroad_tycoon
    Thanks, I'll try the command after looking at the man page to see what LD_ASSUME_KERNEL does .
    Steve

I found a rather techie explanation of it:

link

Most of what I've read about the command mentions Red Hat and Java (JVM) quite a lot. If I tried it on my current distros (Knotix or Knoppix) I'm not sure what would happen. Possibly I should just try to install my old Red Hat 6 distro and run RRT from there (assuming that distro will even run on my Centrino laptop...). RRT requires either Glibc 1.0 or 2.0 . More research, I think.
    Steve

Advisor
    i have to use LD_ASSUME_KERNEL to play older games (the_sims, and simcity) on debian, which knoppix is based off of.

The issue w/ older binary programs isn't actually what kernel is running, it's usually the ABI of the glibc compiled against. I believe LD_ASSUME_KERNEL changes the ABI.

Quote Originally Posted by maccorin
    i have to use LD_ASSUME_KERNEL to play older games (the_sims, and simcity) on debian, which knoppix is based off of.

The issue w/ older binary programs isn't actually what kernel is running, it's usually the ABI of the glibc compiled against. I believe LD_ASSUME_KERNEL changes the ABI.
    Yep... That's what the link above says also, but I wasn't sure what the other implications were. I'll give it a try sometime this week (I have to unpack the game from my numerous boxes first). Thanks again!
    Steve