Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Need java for my website to work properly
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need java for my website to work properly

Associate

Need java for my website to work properly

Hi All,
    I am using Fedora Core 2 and Mozilla 1.6 (I tried to install Firefox 1.0, but it didn't install) and have a Fantasy Football Site (http://football15.myfantasyleague.com/2004/home/56432) that I have an introductory wav file that is supposed to play at the opening of the site. Also, I have 2 scrolling message applets that don't work and I click one the little green symbol in the middle of the parts that don't work I get a message saying that it requires an application/x-java-vm in order to work. I tried to install the java2re from Sun (for linux) and I must not have gotten it right cuz it still doesn't work. No error messages, no nothin.
    Would appreciate anyones help. It isn't a biggie, but it works with XP and I want to switch to Linux and its the little things like this that make it hard to do.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    chumley :cry:

Advisor
    Code:
    maccorin@debian:/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins$ pwd
    /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins
    maccorin@debian:/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins$ ls -l libjavaplugin_oji.so 
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 68 Aug 26 23:34 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/share/j2re1.4.2_05/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    maccorin@debian:/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins$
    you probably need to link libjavaplugin_oji.so to your plugins dir for mozilla

you can do this with something similar too (paths depend on your distro)

Code:
    # cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    # ln -s /usr/share/j2re1.4.2_05/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so

Associate
    Thanks Maccorin,
    I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.

Advisor
    np

Associate
    Maccorin,

Didn't work. Tried it twice. The file is in the plugin directory, but doesn't seem to work. :?

Advisor
    go to aboutlugins in mozilla and see if it shows up, sometimes the plugin directory is not what it seems...

From my experience you can't just copy the java plugin to the plugins directory. You need to make a symlink to it. Also, a little known fact is that you HAVE to use Java version 1.4.2 or greater, earlier versions have a bug that keeps them from loading in Linux.

What I did to keep all my plugs straight was to just put ALL my plugins in one directory (including symlinks to those plugins and then just define a environment variable in my profile.
    Code:
    export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH="/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/"
    This way any Gecko based browser will know where to look for plugins. Also, if you use another browser that isn't Gecko based, you can just delete the plugins directory and create a symlink to that directory.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by jro
    Code:
    export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH="/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/"
    heh, i never knew about that env var, thanks

no prob :wink: , just spreadin the wealth.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Chumley, did you ever get this working??