Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Then and now and later.

Re:Then and now and later.

Was that the holographic cd thing? Three dimensional data storage? Or have I lost my mind..

[quote author=stuart link=board=14;threadid=7471;start=0#msg68756 date=1059856349]
    Was that the holographic cd thing? Three dimensional data storage? Or have I lost my mind..
    [/quote]

yeah i remember seeing something a while back about like cubes that store data in holograms.

i think i saw it on slashdot

[quote author=gorn link=board=14;threadid=7471;start=0#msg68785 date=1059875358]
    [quote author=stuart link=board=14;threadid=7471;start=0#msg68756 date=1059856349]
    [/quote]

yeah i remember seeing something a while back about like cubes that store data in holograms.

i think i saw it on slashdot
    [/quote]

it's an older idea where you have a 3d cube of DNA and use laser to alter the patterns to store data - this of course has the problem that DNA tends to mutate. But it would give us storage space we could only dream about and it would be dead fast... however in the end useless because it would be unable to hold data for long time. Untill that issue is resolved we won't be able to use it.
    But it's a nice idea and it has promise, sadly it's several year away.

I still think MRAM has more of a future here and now as it has very good properities.

invisibility will definately be invented. it already is with reflector suits if anyone has seen the latest WIRED magazine. they use a coat with cameras projecting images in a 360 degree angle and painting those on the suit in real time. how cool is that ;D

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...invisible.html

You guys haven't said anything about nanotechnology...this is obviously going to be a very interesting technology, and its already being implemented. For instance, the new powerpc970 processor uses psuedo-nano technology for parts on their processor (particularly the gates which are something like 8 angstroms high [sic]) This technology will eliminate a lot of hardware quarks, because all hardware will be theoretically exactly the same (at the atomic level). To clairfy, if you have one processor and want to make another one, you can replicate it at the atomic level so the two processors would "identical." And as far as quantum computing is concerned, yes...that certainly is a possibility. Teleportation, last I heard they were only teleporting photons.

Good Guru

[quote author=cga link=board=14;threadid=7471;start=0#msg68687 date=1059768679]
    [quote author=Terg link=board=14;threadid=7471;start=0#msg68651 date=1059712697]

Scientists have claimed that they will be able to transport a single-celled organism across the world in a matter of seconds (like on star trek) within the next decade.
    ]
    [/quote]

I'd like to see that claim. As far as I know, the only serious discussions concerning "teleportation" involve playing around with quantum spooky stuff and entanglement.

I seriously doubt that any reputable scientist is claiming teleportation of anything as complex as an organism.
    [/quote]

Dig around, IBM is working on a transporter. Supposedly they should have been able to transport single atoms (non-living) by now. Soon (again supposedly) bacterium or viruses were to be able to be transported (whichever is genetically/molecuarily easier, I am not a biologist). Then the progression gets really fuzzy. I read up on this stuff back when I was at ITT. They had a magazine on tech stuff and this was the featured story.

Shit, Ive read somewhere a year or so ago that scientists have already proven that time travel or teleportation has already been accomplished with photons. I say or teleportation because they are moving a photon down a length of tube. It actually exits the tube before it enters it, so it could be both. Who really knows. The quantum theory stuff is getting a bit deep, but has some very interesting possibilities, Ala michael chriton.

10ded

Good Guru

Was that in relation to the boys that stopped the photons in the lab?

yeah, that and the quantum mechanics. Anyone ever read TIMELINE?

Good Guru

Whats that?

A book, or a magazine?