Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Then and now and later.

Then and now and later.

what the last 30 years held for us.

Processers have gone from 16 bit to 32 bit to 64 bit on affordable computers.

Bio-processing has been invented, and proven more efficient and faster, though not ready for anything other then scientific use.

Scientists have claimed that they will be able to transport a single-celled organism across the world in a matter of seconds (like on star trek) within the next decade.

Computer speeds have doubled on average every 18 months.

Hard drive sizes have gone from a handfull of megs to hundreds of gigs

Flying cars have been invented.

Plastic packaging for petfood and charcoal have been invented (inside joke).

Technolodgy has gotten cheaper.

Internet has gone from an impossibility, to government and education use, to dialup being cool, to 64K ISDN being cool, to 128K Dual ISDN being cool to DSL being cool to a T1 or equivilent being cool.

People have went from just knowing people in thier area to talking to people from all the way around the world via internet (chatting).

What the next 30 years has in store for us (kinda a theory/opinion):

Average people will shrug off using a TB of space (1024 GB)

Windows will become a thing of the past.

Networking will be a gigabit or more a second on average, instead of just for rich people.

People will fly to work.

Bigger and bigger things will be transported.

Biological-based processing will be standard.

Internet will 1000s of times faster.

Videophone will be used more.

And people will be able to project themselves into a room and interact, seeing the whole person instead of just their text or a crappy 5 - 10 fps live video of each other, even if they arnt able to touch each other

...Well, thats stuff id like to see happen, and what has happened may not be accurate, and i highly doubt some of that will happen, but some of it i know will.

See the responses on my forum. http://artforge.net/forum/index.php?...;f=3&t=174

Re:Then and now and later.

[quote author=Terg link=board=14;threadid=7471;start=0#msg68651 date=1059712697]

Scientists have claimed that they will be able to transport a single-celled organism across the world in a matter of seconds (like on star trek) within the next decade.
    ]
    [/quote]

I'd like to see that claim. As far as I know, the only serious discussions concerning "teleportation" involve playing around with quantum spooky stuff and entanglement.

I seriously doubt that any reputable scientist is claiming teleportation of anything as complex as an organism.

[quote author=cga link=board=14;threadid=7471;start=0#msg68687 date=1059768679]
    [quote author=Terg link=board=14;threadid=7471;start=0#msg68651 date=1059712697]

]
    [/quote]

I'd like to see that claim. As far as I know, the only serious discussions concerning "teleportation" involve playing around with quantum spooky stuff and entanglement.

I seriously doubt that any reputable scientist is claiming teleportation of anything as complex as an organism.
    [/quote]Try to think of teleportation the same as how a radio, TV, satellite, etc. works. You have these waves that carry a signal. The same may be possible for teleportation. But then again, I could just be blowing smoke outta my a$$.

theres a principle about computer speed or something. I don't remember it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

[quote author=stuart link=board=14;threadid=7471;start=0#msg68689 date=1059778237]
    theres a principle about computer speed or something. I don't remember it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
    [/quote]
    Moore's law. Computer speed doubles every 18 month's.
    Problem now is that wires are getting too thin, which makes it harder to keep electrons from jumping from wire to wire randomly(shorting out).
    One solution to this problem is quantum computer's. Individual atoms become switches. I can't remeber exactly wear, but some lab has already tested a 7 atom quantom compter that can add and subtract.

Ahh, yes. I was trying to remember, but couldn't.

Processers have gone from 16 bit to 32 bit to 64 bit on affordable computers.
    Think you missed some technology. It would make since if you said "in the past 15 years".

i wasnt being exact in the time frame, i missed alot of technolodgy.

Moore's Law will hold true for another few years I think, then we will start hitting the critical thermal wall - I think however this is rather irrelevant since I think the focus of the next many years will be silent efficent computing, also we will see more distributed load systems - instead of relying on a beefy CPU to handle everything (look at the VIA Eden platform for the first ideas in this area).

Also thing harddrives as such won't be magnetic storage units for much longer - with the arrivial of MRAM storage which in contradition to flashmemory can we erased and rewritten an infinte number of times, I think we will move to these kinds of storage methods (remember IBM already has transistor technology in beta stage that hold it's eletrical state for +30years when powered off)

Another thing that will be expected from every OS is filesystem rollback and backup features kinda like CVS, so you never truely loose data without being really stupid.

About a year ago I read about some lab that came up with non-ferro-magneticllay-coupled(sp?) media. Not sure if that's what it's still called but it was supposed to boost cd/dvd's storage by 4x or something like that. Haven't heard anything about it lately though.