Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Data Recovery

Thread: Data Recovery

Data Recovery

So Dad asks me to put Windows XP on his machine. Fine. I can deal with that. His machine is a mess anyway. Two Fat32 partitions, and one NTFS partition, the first fat32 partition being heavily virus ridden. So I grab a copy of XP Pro, delete the partitions, and format one 20 gig NTFS partition. an hour later, I bask in the ugliness of Windows XP. So, when I wake up today, dad informs me that I didn't get his QuickBooks files backed up. I check the CDs, and I had it backed up - from two months ago *sigh*..So, now I need to get his files back. They were on the NTFS partition, towards the end of the hard drive, so they should still be kicking around somewhere, seeing as Windows XP has _only_ ate 3 gigs of space. Does anyone know of an app that will let me find dads files, and save them? I have tried PC Inspector File Recovery but I keep getting address violation errors.

Thanks!

Re:Data Recovery

I'd say try this or this

Hey let us know how you make out, would ya? I'm kinda interested in how good the data recovery progs have gotten over the years. I know there is a whole industry based on it.

[quote author=Izan Seth link=board=25;threadid=7470;start=0#msg68665 date=1059747257]
    Hey let us know how you make out, would ya? I'm kinda interested in how good the data recovery progs have gotten over the years. I know there is a whole industry based on it.
    [/quote]
    Ok. The two links Trickster posted only helped me to restore a partition, which I didn't feel like doing just to retreive a 1.5 mb file. Somebody recommended a windows proggy, File Scavenger, to me, and I gave it a whirl (I had to appropriate a licence for it first, *sigh*) I put in the filetype I wanted to find, and it found it. It took me about twenty minutes, but then I found out I couldn't restore it, because it's apparantly damaged. *sigh*
    So guess who just put his father out of business....

Mentor

Didnt your father EVER back up his pc? This is for business use and he never backed up his Quickbooks files?

Dont lay the blame entirely on yourself, he should have been backing up everyday or once a week or something.

I'm sorry to hear you cant get it back, what about a professional data recovery company? You'll pay out the ass but if it means the company wont loose 2 months of data it might be worth it.

I used these guys once vogon they are VERY expensive but they got ALL the data back. We took the harddrive out ans shipped it to them, they took all the data off the drive and burned it to cd and sent it back to us.

Good Guru

If your old man really needs the data (which doesnt seem all that vital for a mere 1.5 MB file) you can try what boblucci reccomended, a data recovery center. Datarecovery.com or whatever they are called charged about 700 for a 6gb drive, but when the drive pukes out, and the boss is an asshole, and refuses to use the server and the automated backup to cover his ass -- life isnt cheap ;D

BTW -- I do know for a fact that the drive can be recovered after a repartition and a reformat. The way magnetic media, filesystems, and FAT work all are in your favor for a data recovery center to help out. Or if you have an electron microscope and a clean room .... ;D