Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Do I need a command line?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a command line?

Do I need a command line?

Hi everybody!

I hope you will not be to mad to me because I'm wery new to Linux.

I instealled SuSe and the install was smooth and easy but everybody talk about "command line." Everybody say it is wery important to use it. Because I don't know much of Linux I want to know how important command line is.

My questions:

What is "command line?"

Do I have to learn command line or can I use Linux without using it?

If I need to learn command line where do I get startled?

I am sorry if my questions are stupid but I am wery new to Linux. and I am sorry about my bad Engilsh but it is not my mother tounge.

Thank you in advance.

Re:Do I need a command line?

hello,
    the command line looks like this:

it is a terminal where you can issue commands the get executed - there are plenty of techno terms we could through at you - but there is no need.

hth - welcome to ljr

Welcome Kauno-Uolevi!

The command line isn't something you can remove. You can use Linux without using it, though if you take the time to understand how to use it you can get software installation and other non-productive specific tasks done on as little as one command.

There are more than enough graphical tools that do what the command line does and should suit you well, but if you feel like you are not getting enough power from those tools your next step would be command line.

Thank you for your friedly responce's.

That is the "command line?" It look's dificult!

But, I want to learn it. I like to learn new thing's.

How do I open that command line? And then when I opend it, what do I do to it? Do I type command's? What command's? How do I know what I type in there?

Tnaks you.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Kauno-Uolevi link=board=1;threadid=7447;start=0#msg68471 date=1059330904]
    Thank you for your friedly responce's.

That is the "command line?" It look's dificult!

But, I want to learn it. I like to learn new thing's.

How do I open that command line? And then when I opend it, what do I do to it? Do I type command's? What command's? How do I know what I type in there?

Tnaks you.
    [/quote]

Hello,

Have you ever used DOS? If so, you will find the command line to be nearly the same. You should be able to find the command line by looking for a terminal program (I'm not certain where Suse puts it) like kterm or xterm.

As for which commands are useful, I'll let someone else tell you some useful ones, since I use Debian and can only remember the apt commands.

Welcome, kind sir. Your English is pretty good, by the way.

Cheers

Dont we have a PET of useful Linux Commands????

What version or flavor of Linux do you use Kauno-Uolevi ? From there we can figure out how to get you the CLI (command line interface). You'll find its much more efficient than using applications....

He are all the PETs that ch-b did on BASH. most likely this is the shell that you would be using in your terminals. Also, you can get to a fullscreen Command/Cash Line Interface by press Ctrl-Alt-F1(Or F2,F3,F4,F5,or F6 adding to 6 in all). All of these are at your disposal when you need a quick CLI at your fingertips.

If we don't have a PET on this we ought to ;-)

In the mean time here are two web pages I found indispensible in getting started with CLI

The One Page Linux Manual is at:
    http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~squadron/

DOS v. CLI commands
    at: http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/intel/commands/index.html

There's also the O'Reilly book "Running Linux", which is one of the best texts on really digging to the inards of Linux.

btw - i forgot to mention that for many distros a command line is not needed - but it can be a life saver.