Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Saddams Sons Killed

Re:Saddams Sons Killed

[quote author=garskoci link=board=14;threadid=7421;start=0#msg68297 date=1058913948]
    "As mentioned before, the teenager might or not be Saddam's son.
    Even if he was, if he tried to surrender, do you think the other people with him would have allowed him to? He probably would have been killed if he tried to surrender."

Yep. The company that one keeps.
    [/quote]

If you are born the son of a an evil person known for killing without a moment's thought, I do not think you have a choice on the companies you keep.

Uh, they would of had a chance to surrender and they would be charged with war crimes. Thats why we sent men...and then decided to missile it.

They were firing back at us, and after 4 long hours, we noticed they werent coming out alive.

good riddance, i just hope when i go to new york in the next week or so that saddam doesnt go osama on my plane. :-X

I just saw the house on TV - and it was basically leveled to the ground. The whole of one of the sides was gone.

scary stuff.

Kind Mastermind

I am glad that those two are out of service. Having said that, though, I would have preferred that they were taken alive and brought to The Hague. I would love for the international community to try them and, should there be convincing enough evidence, execute them for crimes against humanity and genocide (I think that the war crimes issue would be a less compelling point to try them on, quite honestly). Hopefully, we can capture Saddam and a few more of the leadership from Iraq. I think that there needs to be an overwhelming percentage of international troops in Iraq right now. That would at least lend credibility to the US's claim that we want to set up a legitimate, democratic government. I think that international oversight would be in the best interests of the Iraqi people, who have been and remain the victims in this situation.

Cheers

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=14;threadid=7421;start=0#msg68288 date=1058904397]
    and Qusay's 14 year old son was also killed... good work guys, I hope you are proud of yourselves. Sure his sons were horrible men, but the kid didn't do anything..

I hope you all feel a bit safer, I'm shocked.. I doubt that kind of force was really needed, you had them surrounded for crying out load. +200 guys against 4
    [/quote]

Two points:

1. I have seen too many instances of young boys (8-16) who are armed by unscrupulous men in developing countries. So, that would make the 14 yr old a very real danger. I would have killed him if I was in the fire fight and was presented with the option. You are no less dead if you are shot by a 14 yr old as you are if you are shot by a 40 yr old.

2. I would never think myself capable of judging the on-scene commander, but, 200 plus people does seem a little bit like overkill. I would hazard a guess, though. I would think that there was a small number of people actually assaulting the building and a larger number providing security for those people in the fire fight. I know that if it was me, I would want as many people behind me watching my back as could possibly be spared.

I hope that this thread doesn't turn too sour on us. I try to remember that we are all individuals who have the right to dissent. That is the very right that I am most cognizant of every time I put my uniform on. For me, it is the most important freedom that I have and I would die (and kill) for it. Having a difference of opinion does not make someone wrong. Let's not point fingers and wag tongues, okay?

Cheers

(Yes, I am not just a patriotic American, I am a patriotic human who honestly, openly, and happily embraces his internationality. That is why I think of my career in the US military as one where I am protecting every person's rights, American, European, Asian, African, Latin American, Australian, etc.)

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=14;threadid=7421;start=0#msg68312 date=1058949758]
    I have seen too many instances of young boys (8-16) who are armed by unscrupulous men in developing countries. So, that would make the 14 yr old a very real danger. I would have killed him if I was in the fire fight and was presented with the option. You are no less dead if you are shot by a 14 yr old as you are if you are shot by a 40 yr old.
    [/quote]Amen brother. Bullets dont care who they are shot by. Look at the vietcong's use of children in nam. People killed by kids are still just as dead.

OK, I tried to stay out of it but......

One of the great failings of mankind is to place thier values upon other people. To the white man in 1492 the Indians were barbarians. To the Indians, the white man was ignorant of the world. To say that using 200 people to capture 4 was overkill and that we should have only sent 1 man carrying a white flag and asking them to kindly give up is ludicrious. Does anyone remember the chemical attack on the Kurds? How fair was that? Anyone else besides me see the bodies of mother's holding the bodies of their kids?
    We can all sit back and say that it is completely Machiavellian but I think it lends perspective. One of the fundamentals of modern warfare is the overwhelming use of force as a deterrent. By sending in that many people, they use intimidation as a means to coerce them into giving up without a fight. I also have to agree with Stryder's assessment that the majority of the troops were used as security for the soldiers that were engaged. This is evidenced by the video footage shown on CNN yesterday with several troops walking around holding back the crowd ( you will notice also that none of them had their weapons pointed at the crowd). The whole engagment lasted over 6 hours. If all they wanted to do was kill them all and let Allah sort them out then it would have taken 2-3 minutes to destroy the whole building with an airstrike. 8)

And yes, before anyone asks, I have studied strategy.

10ded

[quote author=Mountainman link=board=14;threadid=7421;start=0#msg68314 date=1058955238]
    [quote author=stryder144 link=board=14;threadid=7421;start=0#msg68312 date=1058949758]
    I have seen too many instances of young boys (8-16) who are armed by unscrupulous men in developing countries. So, that would make the 14 yr old a very real danger. I would have killed him if I was in the fire fight and was presented with the option. You are no less dead if you are shot by a 14 yr old as you are if you are shot by a 40 yr old.
    [/quote]Amen brother. Bullets dont care who they are shot by. Look at the vietcong's use of children in nam. People killed by kids are still just as dead.
    [/quote]

Look also at Somolia in 1990 - in Operation Restore Hope. You had little drug high 10 year old somolians running around with AK47s.

[quote author=10Dedfish link=board=14;threadid=7421;start=0#msg68315 date=1058960640]
    Does anyone remember the chemical attack on the Kurds? How fair was that? Anyone else besides me see the bodies of mother's holding the bodies of their kids?
    [/quote]

If, based on that they are barbaric, we become barbaric ourselves, we are not winning anything. We are just becoming them.

We can all sit back and say that it is completely Machiavellian but I think it lends perspective.
    Machiavellian logic says that the end justifies the means, and on political dealings, good and evil cannot be taken on account to reach a goal. According to this logic, it doesn't matter that the kid died, because it was neccesary to achieve the greater goal.

This is dangerous, because you have to apply that logic to everything. If you do, then someone could argue that Saddam could not be judged, because allt he things he did, he did to achieve a greater purpose of achieving the ideals for his nation. According to Machiavellian logic, the things he did to achieve this cannot be catalogued as good or evil.

Since I can't understand how someone could think that, and I can't understand how a rational person would apply a double standard just to use Machiavellian logic, I do not agree with it. I think it is barbaric.