Thread: OpenOffice.org

OpenOffice.org

I've been using OpenOffice.org a lot lately, and I must say that it really clobbers M$ Office in a number of key ways. I love the navigator and style floating windows for example. The lack of crashes certainly helps :-) The drawing program is very nice for simple the diagrams and images I use in my reports. The integration between the wordprocessor, drawing and spreadsheet applications is amazing and is one of the most impressive aspects of the application- it really is one big application and the seemlessness shows as a result- I could never get M$ Office apps to play this well with one another.

I have recently finished converting a number of old Word reports to OOo templates from which PDF final documents are produced for printing and electronic submission.

The point being, the more I use it, the more I like it.

Re:OpenOffice.org

Have you tried 1.1rc? How about Ximian's version? Oh man...I have a ximain 1.1beta snapshot. It's enough to bring a tear to my eye. I can barely tell it's not gtk2, plus it's lightning-quick.

But overall I'd have to agree. The navigator rules, and so do all the detachable stylists, etc... It does most of the things I need. Granted, I have a wish list (a more intuitive charting interface in the spreadsheet would be a Godsend...multiple data series on XY scatters are just hellish), but overall it's everything I need.

Now if only they'd rewrite it in GTK!