Thread: OpenBSD or bust

OpenBSD or bust

My gf gave me her "use less" box. It only had a mobo/proc and case. I've just bought a hd off of ebay. And now I will try to upgrade my server to this newer "use less" box.

So as I type I am installing/downloading bsd. Let's hope i'm successfull on my first try.

Re:OpenBSD or bust

Ok well I installed it. I am kind of disappointed in their ports system. It dosent download dependencies. And since the install is very light its hard to even compile the dependencies. Maybe thats why you need the cd. But I don't plan to buy something to try it. Well FreeBSD does seem to download dependencies. So as I speak I'm downloading the iso. Plus it seems that there is more freebsd help/docs than openbsd.

Actually the ports system does install dependencies ... or at least it should. Where did you download the ports from and where did you untar them to?

I think that might have been my problem. Because I believe I installed 3.3 and I was following the docs and it had a cvs command with 3.2.

Too bad I saw this to late to realize that. I know have FreeBSD installed. But I installed it with auto partition config and I already ran out of space so I might install OpenBSD now instead.

FreeBSD out of the box dosen't have sshd working correctly. Plus I compiled apache and I started it and I can access this box even connecting to 127.0.0.1. With OpenBSD I had no problems like except my ports problem. But I could have been at fault with that.

Thats probably what it was. CVS'ing backwards on ports doesn't have yeild happy people :P Try OpenBSD again.

I think I will do that. I like the Blowfish better than the Devil. Thats mainly why I wanted OpenBSD. Plus I know Schooty and you use it. Is a pretty silley reason why I like OpenBSD :P I'm sure there is better reason to choose it than FreeBSD

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=10;threadid=7367;start=0#msg68003 date=1058221918]
    I think I will do that. I like the Blowfish better than the Devil. Thats mainly why I wanted OpenBSD. Plus I know Schooty and you use it. Is a pretty silley reason why I like OpenBSD :P I'm sure there is better reason to choose it than FreeBSD
    [/quote]

Security, security, security. Not only that but Theo is pretty entertaining on mailing lists.

I've reinstalled and I installed port then upgraded it to 3.3 through cvs. So far I've only had problems with php4 not compiling. But other stuff that wasnt compiling is compiling. Thanks for your help. I might bug you and schotty for some help if I get stuck on something.

If you havn't allready take a look at http://deadly.org/article.php3?sid=20030603105000. It shows how to set PHP/PostgreSQL/Apache without compromising OpenBSD chrooted environment.