View Poll Results: Java 5? General opinion.

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • OMG! I am so happy I could cry!

0 0%
  • Sounds good, I will give it a shot.

2 50.00%
  • If you have used one you have used them all.

1 25.00%
  • Big whoop, I program C/Perl/Python/PHP/etc., therefore I am superior.

0 0%
  • Java will suck, no matter how big of a number they put after it.

1 25.00%

Thread: Java 5 Released

Java 5 Released

Alright, so it is actually only Java 1.5, but it is supposed to be the next evolutionary step in Java. Well, that still remains to be seen. I for one have been running the various release candidates and beta's for a while and I have been impressed with the speed up I have seen from not only swing apps but SWT apps as well. It just seems that Java 5 IS faster than previous iterations. I love programming in Java, heck, it keeps me gainfully employed so I guess I better love it.

I guess you either love it or hate it, so lets hear it. Sound off on you Java opinion.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Please please please let it die!!!!

Advisor
    i couldn't decide between

'if you've used one you've used them all'

or

'java will suck no matter how big of a number they put after it'

IME java is the absolute worst programming language ever made, well... with the qualifier of it having > 3 users, there are a lot of really shitty ones out there, but somehow java actually got popular, i _love_ sun hardware, but jesus I wish they would quit pushing this shit they call Java

Quote Originally Posted by maccorin
    IME java is the absolute worst programming language ever made, well...
    What don't you like about it mac? I am just curious. Its fully object oriented, memory management is nonexistent (one less headache), and there is a JVM for just about every major platform. So I guess what my question is: if Java is the worst, which language is the best?

The only thing Java is good for is using SSH behind a very bitchy corporate firewall(Java based web-app).

Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by jro
    Quote Originally Posted by maccorin
    IME java is the absolute worst programming language ever made, well...
    What don't you like about it mac? I am just curious. Its fully object oriented, memory management is nonexistent (one less headache), and there is a JVM for just about every major platform. So I guess what my question is: if Java is the worst, which language is the best?
    C

actually I have 2 main problems with java

1) lack of pointers, in my op an _application_ language (not to be confused with a fully-interperted scripting language) absolutely needs direct memory access at times, this brings the memory management headaches back, but they are worth it. And don't give me this crap about references they are _not_ the same.

2) I can't figure out it's use, it seems to have been designed to replace C++, which sucked anyways, but did the job ;O I know they usual suspects, cross-platform, etc... but you know what, any coder worth his salt can write a proggy that runs cross platform in pretty much any lang (as long as the lang has compilers for all the platforms)

3) I know i said i only had 2 but i can't stop myself from mentioning the fact that the _language_itself_ should at least be open

Advisor
    one more reason, and this is actually one of the biggest with me, but i realize it only applies to a select few types of apps. There have been quite a few times where any HL language simply didn't do what i needed to do, so i'd have to write a couple lines in asm (micro-threading, and some very tight loops in graphics programs where i wanted to take advantage of SSE/3DNow! come to mind). It is trivial to bind to these in C or C++, or most compiled languages in fact. But java do to it's 1/2 compile nature doesn't work like that, and therefore makes it impractical for a lot of the things I'm interested in.

(graphics, security, general fucking with my hw seeing what i can make it do )

Yeah, you hit on the very things that make me upset at Java. No direct hardware access, yes I wish it had this. And I with I could force garbage collection, I am not the greatest of programmer so I often forget to clean up after myself, GC usually happens at the most unopportune of times.

Thanks for the input, I like to see things from other peoples POV. I sometimes get my vision of things and don't look anywhere else. Any one else?

Advisor
    aye, i used to hate lisp too (too many parenthesis!), but after talking to someone online, i started to understand it's good points, i still don't use it because it doesn't fit my needs, but i can see how it fits some needs.