Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Knoppix pre-use question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix pre-use question

Knoppix pre-use question

Hey everyone,

I have a question or two. Let me first give you the skinny on my situation. My HD is bad and getting worse... I am getting a new one from Dell but I want to back some stuff up on a second HD that is already in the PC. By the by this is a windows box, darn wife!!! ;D So this is how I get to Knoppix. I want to use it to move the stuff from hda1 to hda2 using knoppix.

Now my question comes into play with how do I mount those fat32 drives from Knoppix? Are the driectories writable in memory space? I thought you had to do:
    Code:
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/one
    basically mount /source/ /destination/ Can I just mount the drive at /dev/hda1? I'm just confused on the whole writing issue with Knoppix.

I hope someone can help clear the confussion,
    Ryan

Re:Knoppix pre-use question

It shouldn't matter that you are using knoppix. Just create a directory. ie. mkdir /mnt/windows, then do mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows. Then the same for the second one.

Awesome thank you SO much that makes things A LOT easier on me now!!! ;D I love LINUX!!!

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Izan Seth link=board=7;threadid=7359;start=0#msg67774 date=1057861899]
    Awesome thank you SO much that makes things A LOT easier on me now!!! ;D I love LINUX!!!
    [/quote]

Don't forget to have a floppy handy when you boot into Knoppix. You can save config files to the diskette for future use. Use the knoppix floppyconf lang=us and it should work.

I have another Knoppix question. I was wondering if it would make any sense to run Knoppix as my server from my laptop? I mean that would make it so that I have almost 3gigs more for web developement and things of that nature. I know that it was brought up that you can save configurations to a floppy, but can you do it to the HD instead?

Just not sure if this would make much sense, it would be sort of secure, no one could overwrite any sytem files ;D

There is a way to save Knoppix onto your HD and run from there. I saw a PET or how to somewhere on it. I will try to find it and will let you know

10ded

ok. update. THis is taken from www.linuxquestions.org

ronss, if you interested you can install Knoppix to the harddrive. It does come with an install script. It is located in:

/usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall

be sure when you run it that you use the sudo command in front:

sudo knx-hdinstall

I have installed it on one of my extra harddrives and it works good. The script is not all automated. But it does walk you through everything. It will load cfdisk(i think that is what it was) and you have to setup the partitions. I just setup a SWAP and the Main partition and it worked fine.

Then once you get it installed you can apt-get and update whatever you want. Makes for a very newbie Debian install.

10ded again

Installing Knippix on your hard drive

However, I guess what Izan is looking for is just to save the settings on the hard drive,and not install on it, since that would take up space on the hard drive.

[quote author=trickster link=board=7;threadid=7359;start=#msg68081 date=1058364953]
    Installing Knippix on your hard drive

However, I guess what Izan is looking for is just to save the settings on the hard drive,and not install on it, since that would take up space on the hard drive.
    [/quote]

Thats correct. But the more I think about it the access times to the CD are going to be horrible, not that the laptop HD is much better :P I'm just playing around with some ideas... I want an easier way to get my wireless network up. I would like to see it recognised and easily configurable out of the box... but that is another thread altogether.

Thanx everyone.

i didnt feel like making a new thread and since this is a knoppix based thread i just want to say that knoppix is awesome. im in the computer lab, i restarted the computer with the knoppix cd in the drive and now im in linux instead! its crazy the only beef i have is that the cdrom is really really loud so people are like "what is that kid doing back there, sounds like the computer wants to hurl its hardware out"

I have not tried it yet but this would be a really good way to freak people out. You could go to your friend's, parents', girl/boyfriend's computer, slip in your Knoppix CD when they are not looking and then when they return and see you surfing the web using Galeon or something you can tell them you just installed Linux on their machine. Better yet, you can tell them that you just booted it up and you thought they had installed Linux. Or, you could run KDE or something and see if they notice that they are not using Windows. So much potential here.