Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Help with Algebra?? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with Algebra??

Re:Help with Algebra??

Hey Lovechild and everyone. I can't even do simple algebra. When the time comes what should i do for nagitive exponents?? And square roots raise to a power??

okay step one

We extend both divisions by one (formed as the divisor of the other division - 5x / 5x is one as is x / x)

2 * 5x 3(x-1) * x
    -------- + ------------- = 1
    x * 5x 5x * x

Now we can collect these into one division

2 * 5x + 3(x-1) * x
    ------------------------ = 1
    5x*x

And clean it up a bit

10x + 3x2 - 3x
    ---------------------------- = 1
    5x2

Now multiple both sides by 5x2

10x + 3x2 - 3x = 5x2

And divide both sides by x

10 + 3x - 3 = 5x

clean up a bit

3x + 7 = 5x

substract 3x from both sides

7 = 2x

switch the sides

2x = 7

divide by 2

x = ----- = 3.5

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=14;threadid=7355;start=0#msg67853 date=1057954992]
    Hey Lovechild and everyone. I can't even do simple algebra. When the time comes what should i do for nagitive exponents?? And square roots raise to a power??
    [/quote]

One step at the time, let's get the algebra down first then we can work on the more advanced stuff later..

I would really look around for a tutor if I was you, a few hours in person training can do wonders, especially for brushing up on basic stuff like algebra and other common concepts.

I'm happy to help but doing this over the internet is really not that easy.

If you ask me i'm kind of cheating by writing down what you told me just now. I don't have a clue. Can we try a different and easier method with less confused?? Please reply back.

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=14;threadid=7355;start=0#msg67857 date=1057955748]
    If you ask me i'm kind of cheating by writing down what you told me just now. I don't have a clue. Can we try a different and easier method with less confused?? Please reply back.
    [/quote]

I'm not much for using another method - I would rather explain to you why this is good, it's good because it works every time and it's absolutely straightforward once you get a hang of it, don't worry it took me a while also.

What specifically don't you understand.

Lovechild. Would it be easier if you made a long distance call and do it over phone??

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=14;threadid=7355;start=0#msg67859 date=1057955863]
    Lovechild. Would it be easier if you made a long distance call and do it over phone??
    [/quote]

You want ME to call you overseas, and fork over the phone bill as well - now you are pushing it buddy.

yeah thats it. What i don't understand is everything. I told you what i did and i guess i did it wrong.

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=14;threadid=7355;start=0#msg67861 date=1057956035]
    yeah thats it. What i don't understand is everything. I told you what i did and i guess i did it wrong.
    [/quote]

Okay, here are the basics.

You can extend a division by 1 without it changing the value of the division.

Here we use that to turn two divisions into one.

since:

1 can be written as fx.

1 5x
    --- or ---
    1 5x

Now multiplication of a fraction with another faction is simple

just multiple directly like this:

2 4 2 * 4 8
    --- * --- = ------ = ---
    3 2 3 * 2 6

Now we use this to extend all divisions in the problem by one - since that doesn't alter the value of the total equation it's perfectly legal.

Now we want to get one division so we extend by one using

exsample:

1 1
    --- + ---
    2x 3x

because:

2x
    ---- = 1
    2x

Freely extend the other division but this - following the prior rule:

1 1 * 2x
    --- + -------
    2x 3x * 2x

Now we do the same to the other division, but here we of course use the other division to pick our constant.

1 * 3x 1* 2x
    -------- + ---------
    2x * 3x 3x * 2x

The point here is getting the same in this section

x
    ---
    y <=== HERE

because then they have a common divisor and thus we are allowed to do this

1 * 3x + 1* 2x
    ------------------
    2x * 3x

This has the same value still.

Now we can clean up a bit

3x + 2x
    ----------
    6x 2

And now we have a single division with which to continue calculations.

I understand that just a little. Well anyway i also know 8
    ---
    can be reduce to

1 and 1
    ---