Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Annoying Pop-ups in the Middle of the Night

Annoying Pop-ups in the Middle of the Night

Get your mind out of the gutter...it's not what you're thinking.

For about the last week or so, an Internet Explorer window has been appearing on my PC in the mornings (popped up sometime during the night) inviting me to an online dating service. I assume a script has been planted on my PC somehow.

Norton AV doesn't detect any viruses.

Anyone know what I should be looking for to eliminate this nocturnal nuisance? Thanks.

Re:Annoying Pop-ups in the Middle of the Night

Is it an IE window, or a system popup?

Spammers have been sending a shitload of winpopups to me lately. My router does not let them through, but if I connect directly, I get them. If that is the case, just disable the messenger service.

It's an IE window.

Have you tried giving Ad-Aware a run?

[quote author=trickster link=board=25;threadid=7511;start=0#msg68948 date=1060214729]Spammers have been sending a shitload of winpopups to me lately.[/quote]

that's kinda funny....

no really funny.

good old MS, they make some great tools for the spammers

I have a theory that it's a script running on my PC. I have a D-Link wireless router with four PC's behind it. Two of the PCs are usually on. My prime PC runs Windows XP (when not running Linux ) and it's the one with pop-up. The other PC runs Windows 98 but does not have the problem. You would think that if I was being spammed, it would manifest itself on both PCs since to the outside world, I'm one IP address.

I welcome other theories and suggestions.

Mentor

[quote author=Coral Sea link=board=25;threadid=7511;start=0#msg68967 date=1060230937]
    I have a theory that it's a script running on my PC. I have a D-Link wireless router with four PC's behind it. Two of the PCs are usually on. My prime PC runs Windows XP (when not running Linux ) and it's the one with pop-up. The other PC runs Windows 98 but does not have the problem. You would think that if I was being spammed, it would manifest itself on both PCs since to the outside world, I'm one IP address.

I welcome other theories and suggestions.
    [/quote]

Coral ,
    I had the same problem and all i did to stop it was......
    stopped my messanger service. In the control panel go to administrative tools and in there click services and change the messanger service to startup type=manual and then click stop to stop the service.

they basicly send a broadcast net send message and by stopping that service you wont get those any more!! ;D

Get rid of IE- it is a crawling abomination from the Pit of Redmond. Check out a program call IEradicator and banish the beast.

Save yourself, man! Before it is too late!

(cga has not touched a Windows machine since June 13th)

Mentor

[quote author=cga link=board=25;threadid=7511;start=0#msg69012 date=1060347157]
    Get rid of IE- it is a crawling abomination from the Pit of Redmond. Check out a program call IEradicator and banish the beast.

Save yourself, man! Before it is too late!

(cga has not touched a Windows machine since June 13th)

[/quote]

cga, it's not an IE problem, it has nothing to do with IE, it's the spammers are finding different ways to send spam, this time they found they can use the NET SEND command to their advantage. They just need to be on your network to recieve the message.

Unfortunately some of us NEED mircosoft, so the onyl thing to do is stay one step ahead of the spammers.

Install Ad-Aware 6 , you'll find a lot of "objects" in your cookies folder as well as your system registry. It'll clean it right up. Problem is, use IE again and they'll comeback (at least the tracking ones will). Personally, I removed my IE icons and I just use Opera and Firebird when Im using my XP box. For the most part I use coltrane (linux) to browse the Net anyway.....