Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

bootsplash questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bootsplash questions

bootsplash questions

Okay, I finally decided I wanted my boot screen on Slack9 to look cool. So I grabbed the software I needed, set it all up, patched and recompiled the kernel. I downloaded the Leopard theme (Can you recommend a really nice looking one?).. I had one problem fbmngplay wouldn't compile (GRR).. So I said "what the heck", updated lilo, and rebooted. Well, framebuffer is supported (the pretty penguin is there!!).. but now X won't load. Argh. I do remember compiling the kernel with two options for framebuffer support. the nVidia and the VESA-vga fb driver (<you know what I mean).. Grr. So I did a cat /proc/fb and I got:

0:nvidia
    1:vesa

or something similar.
    What I want to accomplish is to have a progress bar and a background, like uh.. silent.. Yea. that's it. Can anyone give me a shove in the right direction?

Re:bootsplash questions

So X won't load? Does it give an error message? What's probably happening is that X is configured to run without vesafb. Try giving it another round of xf86config or whatever it's called these days. This happened to me a loooooooong time ago, and I think that's what I did to fix my X. Also, try with just one of the fb options. I know that vesafb will work on its own (I used to run a setup like that), but nvidia might work out better. I dunno. I haven't been there in a while. So yeah...recompile your kernel with just vesa and if X doesn't work try xf86config. That's my guess

Whenever you recompile your kernel, you need to reinstall the Nvidia drivers. Give that a try.

[quote author=trickster link=board=2;threadid=7182;start=0#66404 date=1055163864]
    Whenever you recompile your kernel, you need to reinstall the Nvidia drivers. Give that a try.

[/quote]

Well. I feel dumb.
    [me=C++freak]drinks a beer[/me]
    that should help..

Now, the problem I still have is getting fbmngplay to compile. Anyone have any ideas?

Good Guru

[quote author=C++freak link=board=2;threadid=7182;start=0#66385 date=1055120910]
    Okay, I finally decided I wanted my boot screen on Slack9 to look cool. So I grabbed the software I needed, set it all up, patched and recompiled the kernel.
    [/quote]

What software did you grab -- you sparked interest -- like building a nice RedHat one. I do know RH is in the works for this exact same thing, RH10 may or may not have it, as RH11 as well.

TIA

Lets see, I'll just give you a link to where I found it ;-)
    splashutills, splash, fbresolution, fbmngplay, fbtruetype. Take a look : bootsplash ... I decided I wanted to have something as cool as this: GeeXboX

I haven't got fbmngplay to compile yet, but I have spent lots of time looking on google about it.

I'm going to see if this helps after supper.

I got the message that /sbin/mkinitrd doesn't exist. And it doesn't. Where can I get it?

now I need nash. *tired eyes* I'm going to sleep, but I won't give up.
    I could sure go for a little apt-get or something. resolve the dependancies damnit, don't make me do it.
    [me=C++freak]wanders off to dream land, expecting to have a nightmare about dependancy-hell.[/me]