Thread: BS in CS and having to take a Unix class

BS in CS and having to take a Unix class

Hey all I am going for a degree in Computer Science and one of the required courses is Systems Programming and Unix. I am curious to know how much of this course can be applied to Linux? Will I be ahead of the game if I already at least can spell LINUX?

Thanks
    Ras

Re:BS in CS and having to take a Unix class

The short answer is probably.

I attended UCF for a year and half and took my Unix class there. Most people didn't know what Linux was, about 50% of those who did know what it was thought it was an old OS from the early 80's and the other half were people like us.

The long answer is yes you'll have a leg up in the class. Most students won't know anything about Unix let alone what a shell does. It seems like most Unix and Systems Programming courses deal with teaching studenst what Unix is, what the basic terms are and how to write shell scripts.

Re:BS in CS and having to take a Unix class

I would say that knowing Linux is always a plus, since it puts you in contact with the history behind why things work the way they do - and you are able to try out stuff on your own PC instead of relying on the schools PCs for that.

Another thing is that even though I've never taken a UNIX class in my life, I took a univeristy level test in the UNIX platform, and scored above 90% off the top of my head. And I'm no guru.. So I would say real world experience is a major plus for these kinds of classes.