Thread: Quake 3 and Quake2

Quake 3 and Quake2

Serious issues. I gotta get my game on - I finally got DSL after living with a 24k/s modem connection (yes, thats sub-28.8).

Quake3 is giving me a bitch of a time with punkbuster problems. I've just bought a nice new "gold edition" copy of Q3 and TA, my keys are good, I can play single player, but when I get online punkbuster kicks me out 'cause i've not updated. I installed Q3 by copying the pak files to /usr/local/games/quake3/baseq3 and then I ran the 1.32b installer/updater script.

For Quake2, I can get it to full screen (and on a NVidia card too 8) ), but I need to be able to disappear the mouse cursor somehow.

Re:Quake 3 and Quake2

I could be wrong here and the Net-nanny software we run on the proxy here prevents me from looking at game sites but I think 1.33b is the latest patch for Quake3. If I'm wrong it's just punkbuster you're having trouble with you could try upgrading it by itself. I know that if you're trying to play RTCW online you're going to have to do that.

As for Quake2, what are you using for an installer? I highly recommend the icculus.org installer since it's far and away the best looking version of Quake2 I think you'll find. I've been using RH8 & 9 with an NVidia card with no issues whatsoever.

What distro are you using?

Re:Quake 3 and Quake2

Solved the punkbuster problem and I'm sending in a bug report.

I ran out of space on / (where /usr/local/games is) so I symlinked /hdb2/games2/quake3 to /usr/local/games/quake3 - and punkbuster's updater didn't like that at all.

I can run Quake2 fine, but when I try to connect to a server, I get connection refused errors... one more thing to work on.