Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: setting up DSL in Linux (ahem... newbie...)

setting up DSL in Linux (ahem... newbie...)

Hello. I'm brand new to Linux - just set up a dual boot and got it to work. I can connect through windows, but can't figure out how to configure LAN settings in Linux. I think I'm running in Gnome, Redhat Linux 7.0.

I'm so very curious to figure out how to make Linux work for me. I've heard very good things, and after having to reinstall windows for the 3rd time, I'm starting to think maybe there is light somewhere else...

Re:setting up DSL in Linux (ahem... newbie...)

DHCP ;D

Red Hat might have a tool for it, but I am not familiar enough with Red Hat. When I used DSL, I had to use the PPPoE protocol. Roaring Penguin has a good client for it. And they have all the info on their website, on how to make it work.
    HTH

This is a link on how to do it in Red Hat, but it is for 7.3. I don't know if it is the same for 7.

Good Guru

Well depending on what type of DSL connection you have is the key. For example, like cable users, many DSL connections come with a bridge or router that does all of the pppoe work for you. But there are some that don't (you can tell by how windows handles it for the most part).

The easiest way to tell is as following :

If you have a web page that you goto to connect, its as simple as just setting your NIC to DHCP, or if you are assigned a static IP, assign it that.

If you need a fancy program, and that is the ONLY way to connect, then you will need to grab roaring penguin or something.

I will say that starting with RH 8, there are included tools and fancy setup doohiggies that do alot of the work. So if you are really having a rough time (unfortunately I am going to be guessing at your errors 90% of the time since I dont have DSL ... or cable ... [me=Schotty]cries for 10 hours ) perhaps downloading a newer release of redhat would be simpler. [/me]

>>>>If you have a web page that you goto to connect, its as simple as just setting your NIC to DHCP, or if you are assigned a static IP, assign it that.

How might I do that? Through netconfig? In windows, all I did was set the driver for my D-Link ethernet card and it was happy to connect me. I'm going through a router, so I don't believe I need any tools or fancy programs. I believe I'm just missing something simple because I'm not used to the setup.

After searching through numerous sites, it looks like I need to make sure the correct module (is that the same as driver?) is working. When I lspic -v, I get 'Ethernet controller: D-Link system Inc: Unknown device 1300 (rev 10)'

I'll see if I can get more specific info on my settings...

ThanX

What is the model for your Dlink?

DFE-528TX

[quote author=BlueKrystal22 link=board=1;threadid=7268;start=0#67029 date=1056330555]
    >>>>If you have a web page that you goto to connect, its as simple as just setting your NIC to DHCP, or if you are assigned a static IP, assign it that.

How might I do that? Through netconfig? In windows, all I did was set the driver for my D-Link ethernet card and it was happy to connect me. I'm going through a router, so I don't believe I need any tools or fancy programs. I believe I'm just missing something simple because I'm not used to the setup.

After searching through numerous sites, it looks like I need to make sure the correct module (is that the same as driver?) is working. When I lspic -v, I get 'Ethernet controller: D-Link system Inc: Unknown device 1300 (rev 10)'

I'll see if I can get more specific info on my settings...

ThanX
    [/quote]
    This sounds like your router is doing the authentication, so it looks like you are just missing the driver for your card.

You can get the driver here

that link is not working

I went to dlink support, and they don't seem to have a driver that is Linux-friendly...

http://support.dlink.com/Products/vi...ctid=DFE-528TX