Thread: xandros and libranet: NO FREE DOWNLOADS

xandros and libranet: NO FREE DOWNLOADS

I thought linux distros were required to offer free downloads.
    so how come these two debian distros dont?

Re:xandros and libranet: NO FREE DOWNLOADS

They are not required to. The kernel and all GPl applications are free as in beer and as in speech. You can do anything you want with them, as long as you give proper credit and release the source. This includes making money off them.

You won't see me paying for Xandros or Libranet.

"so how come these two debian distros dont?"

I can't speak for Xandros, but Libranet 2.0 can be had almost for free:

http://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/l...dtl/product/63

Brain dead easy install & configuration, for next to nothing.
    Install, edit your apt-sources and apt-get dist-upgrade to your flavor of choice.

Enjoy!

I'm really glad to see commercial distros based off of Debian. With so many RH derivatives out there it's nice to see something a bit different.

Good Guru

[quote author=stuart link=board=7;threadid=7197;start=0#66469 date=1055290238]
    [/quote]

With your logic, may as well add Lindows, SuSE, and MacOS. 3 VERY good OS's. Just because one expects some monetary compensation doesnt mean that they are trying to rip you off. Mainly because of my devoted allegiance to the company, I pay for all Red Hat revisions (from 6.2, no 7.0, and 7.1 on). The mere $60 and now $40 per 6 months is small. And with some of the more expensive distros (Lindows for example), you do get quite a bit more than what RedHat by default offers. And for the less than skilled users (namely newbies and computer illiterates), this can be a great asset to learning GNOME or KDE and how linux itself operates for the casual user.

Realize that there are alot of people that are donating their time and resources to do their work for linux and its projects (and we must not forget BSD either). Without donations, the full time workers would be really poor. Cant pay the bills with absolutely free everywhere code now can we?

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Schotty link=board=7;threadid=7197;start=0#66763 date=1055866606]
    [quote author=stuart link=board=7;threadid=7197;start=0#66469 date=1055290238]
    [/quote]

With your logic, may as well add Lindows, SuSE, and MacOS. 3 VERY good OS's. Just because one expects some monetary compensation doesnt mean that they are trying to rip you off. Mainly because of my devoted allegiance to the company, I pay for all Red Hat revisions (from 6.2, no 7.0, and 7.1 on). The mere $60 and now $40 per 6 months is small. And with some of the more expensive distros (Lindows for example), you do get quite a bit more than what RedHat by default offers. And for the less than skilled users (namely newbies and computer illiterates), this can be a great asset to learning GNOME or KDE and how linux itself operates for the casual user.

Realize that there are alot of people that are donating their time and resources to do their work for linux and its projects (and we must not forget BSD either). Without donations, the full time workers would be really poor. Cant pay the bills with absolutely free everywhere code now can we?
    [/quote]

Right on! I've paid for Suse 8.1 Personal, LindowsOS 1.1 (it came with my computer), Corel Linux 1 Deluxe, and Caldera OpenLinux 2.2. I've also paid for various distros by virtue of the fact that they came with a book or magazine (I miss you MaximumLinux!). I would say that paying for the base distro is a very good thing. That isn't to say that I don't like getting great free software. By far, some of my favorite software titles are totally free (they don't even ask for donations). Awesome, simply awesome. We shouldn't be against paying for the pleasure that the software gives to us.

Cheers

I'll pay for Slackware, because I use it, and like it. (Okay, I love it)
    When I scrounge up some cash (I'm a high school student, I don't have a lot of it), I may send Torvalds, and others some money.

I also paid for Corel Linux, and I realized what I should pay for, and what I shouldn't. (I didn't like it. I love Slackware). Oh well, I got a free penguin, so I guess it was worth it

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=stuart link=board=7;threadid=7197;start=0#66929 date=1056152088]
    I'll pay for Slackware, because I use it, and like it. (Okay, I love it)
    When I scrounge up some cash (I'm a high school student, I don't have a lot of it), I may send Torvalds, and others some money.

I also paid for Corel Linux, and I realized what I should pay for, and what I shouldn't. (I didn't like it. I love Slackware). Oh well, I got a free penguin, so I guess it was worth it
    [/quote]

It's definitely not easy scraping enough money together to buy the various distros. I usually have to beg my wife for a week or so before she'll let me buy a new boxed set. It ain't a bad thing, mind you, but it does get frustrating.

The GPL only requires you to release the sourcecode and modifications to the public, the binaries you can keep to yourself.

Quite fair if you ask me, it leaves a bit of room to make a few bucks and it still doesn't restrict other people from building on your work.

The lesson here would be... pay up.