Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

root login

Thread: root login

root login

i have just installed mandrake 9.1, on the gui login screen only list the user i'd created. how do i login as root at this screen?

i can SU to do stuff as user but just need to know how to login directly in as root. thanks.

Re:root login

[quote author=wireddad link=board=1;threadid=7254;start=0#66906 date=1056117421]
    i have just installed mandrake 9.1, on the gui login screen only list the user i'd created. how do i login as root at this screen?[/quote]

Don't!

Yeah, well, you can just type 'root' in the field where the username goes and enter the corresponding password but you shouldn't.

Don't run X as root.

You can even go to the KDE control thingy and go to the kdm (session manager) menu and add an entry for root. But that's not a good idea. You shouldn't be running X as root. Much less should you run KDE as root.

[edit]
    PS Did I mention it's not a good idea to be running X as root?
    [/edit]

why not run X as root?

You can run as root in X but be very careful of what u do so u don't mess up your o/s!