Thread: Lose color ls in Drake 9.1

Lose color ls in Drake 9.1

Hello. I'm trying to get rid of the color directory listing under Drake 9.1, as I hate it. I've edited /etc/DIR_COLORS and changed "COLOR tty" to "COLOR none". I've also set up both system and user aliases to alias ls to "ls -F --color=never" but it still isn't working. I can get rid of it when I log in in text mode, but when I open a terminal under X the colours are back!

Does anyone have any suggestions how to remove the colour completely? (Just for ls, in case anyone's tempted to tell me to adjust my monitor!)

Thanks, Chris

Re:Lose color ls in Drake 9.1

See if ls is aliased to something else (ls with args). Check to see if /bin/ls gives color or not. If /bin/ls doesn't do color, you have an alias somewhere that you will need to unset.

Ok yeah they probably aliased ls in /etc/bashrc if not check your .bachrc file in your home directory... This is assuming that you are using bash and not tsh or some other shell.

Yes, I'm using bash. /bin/ls doesn't do colour (yay!). I've checked /etc/bashrc and ~/.bashrc and neither of them had any aliases set. I aliased ls to ls -F --color=never in both, and it still won't go away.

Methinks that Drake hides aliases is sneaky places, as rm is aliased to rm -i somewhere.

Any ideas where else I should look?

Check your root's.bashrc or .bash_profile ..... Drake uses the roots bash stuff on regular users

Also in /etc/bashrc there are lines looking to see if its an Xterm, that might be where you need to edit:

Code:
    # are we an interactive shell?
    if [ "$PS1" ]; then
        case $TERM in
            xterm*)
                PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]0;${USER}@${HOSTNAME}: ${PWD}\007"'
                ;;
            *)
                ;;
        esac
        [ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ] && PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ "
    Also try checking /etc/profile.d/alias.sh . Im not sure how to get rid of colors so I dont knwo what ya need, but theres all kinds of aliases there....

HTH

PS = Drake Ownz

Thanks! /etc/profile.d/alias.sh was where it was lurking. My ls's now display in glorious far-easier-to-read monochrome. I've also got rid of the -i switch for rm.

I like Drake too. One word - rpmdrake. My last distro was RH7.1 and it was a pain manually trying to install the necessary dependencies from three cd's if I wanted a new piece of software. That and the fact that it correctly autodetects all my hardware. Except my crappy S200 winprinter, although I've got that working satisfactorily in B&W. I can live with booting into XP if I desperately need to print colour.