Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RH 9 and Evolution

Associate

RH 9 and Evolution

Hi All,

I'm a relative newcomer to Linux and have run into a problem with RH 9 and Ximian Evolution. My main home computer is a dual boot machine... both OS's, Red Hat 8 and Red Hat 9. Anyway, with RH8 and Evolution 1.0.something, I have no problems. I think that I did an upgrade of Evolution on my RH 9 install, but to be honest, I'm not absolutely sure. I have a lot of computers between home and work and do mess with them a lot. My current version is:

[dishawjp@eunix dishawjp]$ rpm -qa evolution
    evolution-1.2.2-5

I've checked on all the configuration options for sending and receiving mail within Evolution and compared them to my setup on RH 8 and they are the same. I can ping my smtp and pop3 servers so they are alive and the authentication protocols seem to be set correctly. At least they are the same as in my old setup and it still works, but Evolution won't connect to anything. I can't even get my "summary" information and trying to send/receive mail doesn't even get a "tic" out of my ppp0 on gkrellm.

I have to be missing something pretty basic here. I've checked the support section of Ximian.com, but no joy there.

Any good souls here willing to point me in the right direction?

TIA,

Jim Dishaw

Re:RH 9 and Evolution

hello,
    i am guessing this is not a evolution issue but some mail deamon issue - how are you accessing your mail - pop3, imap... also is this accessed locally?

Associate

pbharris.

Like I said, I'm a relatively new to Linux and I don't fully understand the question. I set up Evolution for "pop" to retrieve e-mail and am using "smtp" for sending mail. The servers I connect to are "pop3.servername.com" and "smtp.servername.com"

I can ping them and the setup works correctly with evolution 1.0 and RH 8, but can't connect at all in RH 9 and evolution 1.2. I can't even get my summary information.

I was kind of thinking that there might be a permission issue somewhere that is preventing evolution from accessing ppp0 or something like that.

I have full internet access with galeon and mozilla and otherwise everything else is pretty happy. Just evolution seems to be grumpy.

On my rinky-dink intranet (I have a RH 6.2 Linux box connected on eth0) I can use the linux mail command from the command line and send and receive mail to my RH 6.2 box; so sendmail is working.

Thanks for the reply and I apologize that I really don't know enough about Linux to answer your question.

Jim Dishaw

Hi Jim,
    no problems - what i mean is do you get your mail from a remote server - e.g. pop3.yahoo.mail.com or somthing like that.
    paul

Associate

Hi Paul, and thanks for your interest!

Yes, I do get and send my e-mail from a remote server. In my case, I get mail from pop3.i2eyenet.com and receive it from smtp.i2eyenet.com.

I have that configured correctly (I think) but evolution seems to be reluctant to even talk to ppp0. I get no activity on that device at all when trying to access or ssend mail or to even get my "summary" information.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Dishaw

Hi Jim,
    I don't see how ppp0 could be the issue, if mozilla works then so should evolution - i will try it out, for some reason it seems to be taking a very long time to start up on my system... i ussually use mozilla mail. i may not get to finish ity et tonight...
    paul

Try typing "evolution" in a terminal and check the output after it starts up. Then try things like checking mail, etc... Post any error messages and we'll see what we make of them. It could also be your install (RH has done this to me before). Try removing evolution and reinstalling.

PS: Evolution 1.4 is out. I'm running it right now, and I must say it's gorgeous (GTK2 widgets instead of GTK1, so it looks like the rest of your Gnome2 desktop). RH8 and 9 should both be able to handle it. Just thought you might be interested

Associate

Hi Tyr,

I can start evolution from the command line and I get no error messages. That would be too simple :-)

To make this even more mysterious, suddenly my "summary" seems to work. Before this evening, evolution was unable to even get my "summary information."

Your suggestion about trying the newer version, 1.4, sounds good to me. Unless someone has another suggestion, I'll download the rpm and give that a try.

Thanks again to both of you.

Jim Dishaw

Associate

Well, I downloaded and installed evolution 1.4. Same stuff.

[root@eunix download]# rpm -qa evolution
    evolution-1.4.0-0.ximian.6.6

Although the new version looks nice, it still won't connect. I do get my summary information though... maybe I should be thankful for small improvements :

Anyway, this is getting to me. I love Linux for a lot of reasons, but this is becoming frustrating. If there's anyone who can bail me on this, it would be very much appreciated. I REALLY don't want to have to boot up my Win98 box to check my e-mail.

TIA for any assistance... it's probably something stupid that I've done, but I am really stuck on this one.

Jim Dishaw

hello,
    well i tested it out and it worked quite well. If it has not worked before then i would do a mv ~/evolultion ~/oldevolution and try again - i used a standard pop3 account setting and entered the apssword when asked. if you have data in the evolution directory already then you should be restore it. mozilla does work - right?