Thread: Microsoft to cease IE development for the Mac

Mentor

Microsoft to cease IE development for the Mac

http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/...ceaseie_1.html

Microsoft will stop developing versions of its Internet Explorer (IE) browser software for Macintosh computers, saying that Apple's Safari is now all that Apple needs.
    This could be significant. It leaves Windows the only operating system IE runs on. It might present a problem for web developers that develop for IE only. Nobody can use their web site unless they are on Windows. This might force them to make their sites compatible with other browsers, hopefully ...

Kind Mastermind

Re:Microsoft to cease IE development for the Mac

Let's hope that big businesses that utilize advanced webservices (banks for instance) will embrace the multi-browser world. Of course, they don't care about the customer they only care about the bottom line. It might mean that they will only develop for IE because it's "cheaper" than developing for IE and Moz and it's derivatives. Of course, banking institutions like Linux, mainly because it enhances the bottom line. So, I guess it could go either way. Here's to hoping that big business finally does the right thing!

Cheers

"We will definitely continue to support Internet standards,"

ROTFLMO!!!!! M$ has yet to support standards! Sheesh, do these people ever tell the truth about anything?

Well, I'm glad. I'm sick of installing OS9/X and having IE staring at me. Safari is far better, or even just Mozilla. In otherword, "Get that crap off my desktop, and don't let it come back!"

[quote author=cga link=board=11;threadid=7228;start=0#66747 date=1055852923]
    "We will definitely continue to support Internet standards,"

ROTFLMO!!!!! M$ has yet to support standards! Sheesh, do these people ever tell the truth about anything?
    [/quote]

I'm pretty sure that you can answer that yourself ;-)

Microsoft being the largest computer software developer in the world should take it as their responsibility to conform to the standards of the W3C, It is the responsibility of webdevelopers to conform to these standards if they're doing large projects, and abroad. Microsoft thinks that standards don't apply to them, but if everybody adopts them, so will they. It is up to the open sourced and technologically-oriented groups to set a standard, one that Microsoft will have to adhear to.

Safari is a great browser, and is standards complient, if only IE would follow the path of this browser, Microsoft would actually have a good product. As Microsoft's legacy proceeds them, they'll copy off of Apple, so expect Jungle or something from Microsoft. :-P

[quote author=ryguillian link=board=11;threadid=7228;start=0#msg69204 date=1060812123]
    As Microsoft's legacy proceeds them, they'll copy off of Apple, so expect Jungle or something from Microsoft. :-P
    [/quote]
    Good one!

I read somewhere that the name Safari came about as follows:

First you have to Navigate to a new land (the internet). Once there you must Explore. Later, when the new land is settled and developed, people come on vacation to take a Safari.

Following this trend, after the land's resources are consumed and it becomes polluted and spoiled, it becomes a Wasteland.

Expect M$ Internet Wasteland...

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=cga link=board=11;threadid=7228;start=0#msg69664 date=1061901453]
    Expect M$ Internet Wasteland...
    [/quote]

I thought that was called Windows?