Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Modem connects, but can't browse the net

Thread: Modem connects, but can't browse the net

Associate

Modem connects, but can't browse the net

I have been lucky, have had a DSL connection for a long time now. When I first installed Linux, it went through my DSL Router/Gateway, so Internet access under Linux wasn't a problem for me.

Well, I decided to see if I could get my modem to work, and now I am stuck - sigh, so close and yet so far. Okay, here is what I have done so far: I figured out that I have a Winmodem, and have downloaded and successfully compiled the drivers for it. I set up kppp, giving it the necessary information including my ISP's access numbers, and their DNS servers' IP addresses. Kppp dials and connects. But, I cannot get my browsers (Konqueror or Mozilla) to get anywhere on the 'net.

I'm just venting my frustration a little, I'll be heading back to Google, and linmodems.org to do more homework to try and figure out my problem tomorrow - it's really late now!. But, if anyone has had this kind of issue, I would appreciate it if you could help, or tell me what I'm missing.

Oh well, at least I got my winmodem working and making a connection under Linux, which is probably more than half the battle already.

Thanks,
    Mike

Re:Modem connects, but can't browse the net

ok, Mikie,
    I just sent you a copy of my post with pretty much the same problem. I hope it helps you out some

10ded

Can you browse by IP address?

Try http://18.89.0.72 (which is really http://mitv.mit.edu )

Associate

Thanks for the responses, guys. Really do appreciate it. Although, 10ded, I haven't actually received anything from you yet, I will be looking out for it. Hope to learn something from it.

Actually, it's weird, but everything is working just fine now. I'm actually browsing the net, and receiving email through my winmodem. Guess it just needed a reboot. No, I hope that's not it, getting away from re-booting was one of the first joys of Linux for me. I think it was (but I could be wrong, of course) because my eth0 was up, and it had a default gateway route, but when I turned the DSL modem and the router/gateway off and started my modem ppp connection, I didn't do an ifdown, so the browsers were still trying to go through the eth0 default gateway, which was no longer available. At least, I _think_ that was what it was. But, anyway, no complaints, everything works. Cool.

Now on to my next learning project, sending and receiving faxes. Stay tuned for my cries for help !!

Thanks again, guys.
    Mike

Sorry about that Mikie,
    I tried to use the email you had in your profile. Yeah, If you had a dsl before and swapped over to a winmodem, you have to do a ifconfig eth0 down and ifconfig ppp0 up before it will work. That took me a couple of days to figure out. I was trying to use my network to browse rather than going straight threw modem. :-\

congrats on getting it working though.

10Ded