Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Gentoo Partitioning

Thread: Gentoo Partitioning

Gentoo Partitioning

Presently, I have Gentoo installed on four partitions divided up like this:

/boot
    /
    /home
    swap

The command du -h tells me this about the directories:

/bin 4.5 MB
    /boot 100 MB # total space allocated, not du
    /etc 4.3 MB
    /home 4.7 GB # total space allocated, not du
    /lib 13 MB
    /opt 338 MB
    /root 17 MB
    /sbin 4.5 MB
    /tmp 3 MB
    /usr 2.1 GB
    /var 771 MB

I have a new computer ordered which should be delivered within the week. I will do a fresh install of Gentoo on the new computer when it arrives.
    I would like to make separate partitions for each of the directories like so:

/bin 20 MB
    /boot 200 MB
    /etc 20 MB
    /home 9.7 GB
    /lib 30 MB
    /opt 1 GB
    /root 30 MB
    /sbin 20 MB
    /tmp 2 GB
    /usr 6 GB
    /var 1 GB

The present sytem does not have KDE or GNOME installed and has the OpenOffice 1.1 Beta binaries in /opt, with all binaries stripped. The new system will have KDE and GNOME installed. Once OpenOffice 1.1 Beta is final and has an ebuild, I most likely will emerge it. I want to make
    sure there is enough space in /tmp to emerge OpenOffice down the road and also make sure there is enough space in /usr to accomodate KDE & GNOME.

Will this partitioning scheme work or are there any directories that should be adjusted as far as allocated space? Additionally, what would be the best way to order the partitions on the disk,to have maximum responsiveness on this system?

Any help or ideas are appreciated.

Re:Gentoo Partitioning

As far as I know, the IDE standar does not support more than 4 partitions. An IDE RAID might give you a bit more, and a SCSI disk or array will allow up to 16(?) partitions.

So, if you are getting a regular computer, you can make only 4 partitions.

I was planning for /boot to be a primary partition at hda1. hda2 will be an extended partition. The other partitions will all be logical partitions inside hda2.

Advisor

Personally, I see no need to have more than 4 partitions.

/boot
    /home
    /
    swap

On my computer I don't even have a separate home partition. I have found that if you make a separate partition for each director it becomes a pain if you need to resize or modify them later. Is there some reason to have all these partitions? I would think that it will create less headaches later if you just stick with three or four partitions.

you can only have 4 primary partitions but can have as many extended partitions are you like (there might be a limit somewhere I dunno). AFAIK.

I have only

swap - 512megs
    /boot - 50megs - ReiserFS notail,noatime
    / - (40 gb - swap and boot) - ReiserFS notail,noatime
    /home - 40gb - ReiserFS notail,noatime

Works fine for me