Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Microsoft To Kill Popular Linux Mailserver Antivirus Product

Thread: Microsoft To Kill Popular Linux Mailserver Antivirus Product

Microsoft To Kill Popular Linux Mailserver Antivirus Product

They're up to their same old tricks... with an ugly twist, take something away from Linux in the process >

"Users and resellers of RAV AntiVirus, especially popular on
    Linux platforms [mailservers], are in limbo after Microsoft's decision to
    buy the RAV technology from Romania's GeCAD Software Srl..."

COMPLETE STORY:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,111123,00.asp

Re:Microsoft To Kill Popular Linux Mailserver Antivirus Product

ms will get thiers...

This was the only virus scanner of commercial grade available for Linux if I recall correctly - I smell a rat... oh wait, this is Microsoft -- oh then it's innovation and fair competition.

But really the only reason currently to run a virus scanner on Linux is to offer protection to dumbasses... I mean Windows users since neither Linux nor MacOS has any major problems with vira, and when that day comes (I pray it doesn't), there will be insentive to make one.

So it's not really a big problem right now, but it seems like a strange coincident that Microsoft feels that this would be the best company in that business to buy - I would have gotten my fingers in AntiVir or AVP instead if I wanted a Windows scanner technology with a wide userbase. But then again we all know that that was the whole idea with this little stunt.

[quote author=pbharris link=board=13;threadid=7209;start=0#66546 date=1055476201]
    ms will get thiers...
    [/quote]

One can only hope, bastages!

It's getting harder and harder to work in a M$ based shop. It pays the bills but grrr.

I got that email from RAV saying they were selling out to MS and was really pissed. I have the Mail Server protection on our Sun box and their workstation protection on all of our 30+ RH boxes. Does anyone know of another product that is just as good in case this gets out of control? I refuse to pay Gates any $$ no matter what the price is.

Associate

Well isn't that just peachy. Now that they have the company, they'll bury the technology. I'd like to see a list of all the companies they've bought out and the technology those companies were deveolping. Then compare it to a list of what is avaible and what should be had it not been for MS buying it.