Thread: redhat 9

redhat 9

I recently downloaded the iso's from redhat.com for redhat linux. Although it would not read it from the cd. Anybody know where i can download working iso;s or a mirror that worked for them?

Also, i'm using a laptop, should i stick with a free version of redhat9 or purchase suse?

Thanks
    Anthony

Advisor

Re:redhat 9

You say it won't read from CD? Did you check the md5sum before burning? Or mount the ISO image (mount -o loop diskname.iso /mnt/cdrom)? You should be able to get a download from http://www.linuxiso.org I would think, but I can't seem to access the page right now. :-\ Also, there is a list of mirrors at http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html

There are many other distro's out there too, don't think that you're limited to redhat and suse

Happy downloading

I just wanted to find something easy to install on my laptop cuase slack and debain an't to easy to get x setup

As far as I know, setting up X will be the same in any distribution, because of your video card. It doesn't support the XFree86 "nv" driver, so anyway, you will be forced to download the NVidia driver and configure your /etc/XFREE86Config manually. (At least on my laptop, which has the GEForce 4 440 model.)

Good Guru

Whatabout the "vesa" module? I am sure that if the nv dont work, vesa would. But anyway, nVIDIA has a really slick new installer. ITs really easy. Basically it dont get much easier than that (short of a telepathic link to auto upgrade when you think it.)

[quote author=Schotty link=board=7;threadid=7081;start=0#65613 date=1053626099]
    Whatabout the "vesa" module? I am sure that if the nv dont work, vesa would. But anyway, nVIDIA has a really slick new installer. ITs really easy. Basically it dont get much easier than that (short of a telepathic link to auto upgrade when you think it.)
    [/quote]
    Mine does not like VESA either. :-\

[quote author=trickster link=board=7;threadid=7081;start=0#65616 date=1053627261]
    [quote author=Schotty link=board=7;threadid=7081;start=0#65613 date=1053626099]
    [/quote]
    Mine does not like VESA either. :-\
    [/quote]
    Actually, according to this, ttp://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/nv.4.html, the nv does support it, but I haven't had any luck with it on my card.

According to this Toshiba user, nv won't recognize his either, but vesa would. http://www.adebenham.com/laptop/toshiba_te2100.html

So VESA might work.

i had the same problem with red hat, it would start the install process and just freeze, or say that it was missing a file. i had the hardest time just going through the setup. just keep trying it, and be sure to test the medium once uyou boot off of it to doulb check.