Thread: new Ximian 2, Evolution 2 is out

new Ximian 2, Evolution 2 is out

Ximian [http://www.ximian.com/] has released their long awaited Ximian Desktop 2, their popular Gnome-based desktop, and Evolution, their popular email client and calendar program. They can be found on the main Ftp server. You can also check their mirrors [ ftp://ftp.ximian.com/pub/ ].

Another mirror
    [http://support.ximian.com/cgi-bin/xi...020301-000007]

Mentor

Re:new Ximian 2, Evolution 2 is out

Well ?

Does anyone have any reviews ?

Anyone even download it?

I installed RH9 just to try it out - it's a complete bitch to install on that platform but it's worth it, the OOo work alone is awesome (I run this on Gentoo right now).

Don't worry, it's already being ebuilded

The good thing is that it's very stable, and fast - so far I have not hit any bad sides besides the fact that it messes up the db4 rpm in RH9 and causes db1 to be marked obsolited, which kills rpm-get, and of course the install wasn't as straight forward as I could have wanted, a mere mortal would never get this installed because of conflicts left and right.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=6;threadid=7187;start=0#67310 date=1056752322]
    a mere mortal would never get this installed because of conflicts left and right.
    [/quote]

That is why we bow to Lovey. All hail Lovey! ;D

I'm looking forward to the day when they actually have Ximian 2 for Debian 3.0. I would definitely buy the discs in that case.

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=6;threadid=7187;start=0#67334 date=1056796990]
    [quote author=Lovechild link=board=6;threadid=7187;start=0#67310 date=1056752322]
    a mere mortal would never get this installed because of conflicts left and right.
    [/quote]

That is why we bow to Lovey. All hail Lovey! ;D

I'm looking forward to the day when they actually have Ximian 2 for Debian 3.0. I would definitely buy the discs in that case.
    [/quote]

1) all bow to Lovechild -- I like the sound of that.

2) Debian support will never happen - NEVER, debian is to ancient in the stable version for ximian to bother and SID/Testing is to hard to track, it's simply unpredicitable for building a business on.. SORRY, switch to another distro.

Gentoo gets unofficial support for the desktop but not redcarpet and the configuration tools, in that all Ximians patches are GPLed and a taskforce has been setup. It already runs and guess who has CVS access

I hated installing Evolution 2 on RH9, doesnt work well unless you have XD2 installed, after that, good luck in trying to run it in KDE