Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Killing Linux

Kind Mastermind

Re:Killing Linux

[quote author=martin link=board=13;threadid=7163;start=0#66406 date=1055169682]
    Even if Novell sold the 'copyright's' to SCO, SCO never filed it.
    From what I've been told, that is like buying a house and never registering the deed at the county assesor's office.
    If that is the case, Novell still holds the copyright's in question until SCO files them. Which would make their lawsuit premature and get it tossed out.
    I just talking out my arse though.
    [/quote]

The biggest question that I have is this: are the unix codes that have been allegedly placed into the linux code copyrighted or patented? If they are patented and if they come from the original code sold to $CO by Novell, then there is less of a problem with that, since Novell owns the patents. If they are copyrighted, then $CO owns the code, which means a big problem for all.

Now, ultimately, IBM needs to step up to bat and buy $CO out. Lock, stock, and smoking barrell. Of course, that would be what I would like to see (or possibly a venture capital group made up of prominent linux distro companies such as Sun, Redhat, Suse, UnitedLinux, whatever).

Oh well, so much for my dreams.

Cheers

Associate

[quote author=noblestknight link=board=13;threadid=7163;start=0#msg66332 date=1054949420]
    Linux may never become mainstream or the popular choice, but it will never die.
    [/quote]

Linux has a chance to become mainstream, the problem is getting everyone to work towards that goal. You have the hardcore devolpers/users who are anti-mainstream with their non-conformist ideals. Then you have the enterprising folks who want to make money. In between, you have everyone else who just wants a stable OS that can be tweaked to no end.

The biggest hurdle for Linux is it's difficulty of use. Some flavors are easier to use while others are a nightmare. Your average computer user doesn't want to spend 2 hours compiling a program or entering commands into the terminal. They want easy packages that install with a click and put a nice little icon on the desktop. You mention the word compile to the average user and you'll get a 'huh?', after an explination, you'll get a 'screw that!'.

This is why Windows has dominated for so long, it's easy to use, compatible with most everything out there, plenty of software and you don't have to compile your programs in order to use them. We know that Windows is buggy, unstable, developed by a company born of greed hiding behind the guise of 'developing for the future'. That stuff doesn't matter to most, because they never delve below the surface. They only care if it will do what they want it to do and do it with out an over large amount of thought.

As for the SCO vs. IBM show down, we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

I think you make a few good points, but I also think you fall into the trap of thinking that Linux is intended to be a replacement for M$ Windows. It is not, it is a replacement for UNIX. As such, it is not as straight forward to make a pointy-clicky user friendly OS.

[quote author=Nazgul link=board=13;threadid=7163;start=0#msg68646 date=1059709103]
    [quote author=noblestknight link=board=13;threadid=7163;start=0#msg66332 date=1054949420]
    Linux may never become mainstream or the popular choice, but it will never die.
    [/quote]

Linux has a chance to become mainstream, the problem is getting everyone to work towards that goal. You have the hardcore devolpers/users who are anti-mainstream with their non-conformist ideals. Then you have the enterprising folks who want to make money. In between, you have everyone else who just wants a stable OS that can be tweaked to no end.

The biggest hurdle for Linux is it's difficulty of use. Some flavors are easier to use while others are a nightmare. Your average computer user doesn't want to spend 2 hours compiling a program or entering commands into the terminal. They want easy packages that install with a click and put a nice little icon on the desktop. You mention the word compile to the average user and you'll get a 'huh?', after an explination, you'll get a 'screw that!'.

This is why Windows has dominated for so long, it's easy to use, compatible with most everything out there, plenty of software and you don't have to compile your programs in order to use them. We know that Windows is buggy, unstable, developed by a company born of greed hiding behind the guise of 'developing for the future'. That stuff doesn't matter to most, because they never delve below the surface. They only care if it will do what they want it to do and do it with out an over large amount of thought.

As for the SCO vs. IBM show down, we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.
    [/quote]