Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

How do I start a tar.gz

Thread: How do I start a tar.gz

How do I start a tar.gz

I downloaded a new flash player tar.gz
    What is the way to start the installer in this tar,gz form?
    I loged in as root, went to root's home, went to the root directory, then the home folder, then clicked on the flash player folder. There is a folder called flash player installer.
    How do I start it from here? I was told you extract it here and it will start.
    How do I start this extract?
    Thanks

Re:How do I start a tar.gz

By asking it nicely. ;D

okay okay, at a console type:

gunzip file.tar.gz(or .tgz) then type

tar xf file.tar

cant you just do tar -xzvf file.tar.gz?

[quote author=burntash link=board=1;threadid=7159;start=0#66170 date=1054595898]
    [/quote]
    Yup, they both work.

Good Guru

[quote author=burntash link=board=1;threadid=7159;start=0#66170 date=1054595898]
    [/quote]

Thats exactly what I use.

Cool, thanks guys for the help.
    Where you said tar -xf file.tar.gz do I type the name of the file where it says file?
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just was not sure. ;D

Yes. if you download a file called goodfoodlist.tar.gz, and saved it as /tmp/goodfoodlist.tar.gz, then you would change directories to /tmp and do tar -zxvf goodfoodlist.tar.gz.

Actually 'tar -xf <filename>.tar.gz will not work. When working with a gunzipped tarball, you need to do:

tar xvzf file.tar.gz (or file.tgz)

If you have a plain tar file (i.e. file.tar), then the 'tar -xvf' would work.

gunzip file.tar.gz(or .tgz) then type

tar xf file.tar
    You can do this, but it's one more command from 'tar xvzf file.tar.gz'.