Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gentoo Booting Problems

Gentoo Booting Problems

Well I decided to give Gentoo a whirl. Everything seemed to go great untill I rebooted the system ... it hangs after uncompressing the kernel. I am using reiserfs (notail in fstab), hdb1 as root, hdb5 as swap, and GRUB on MBR.

GRUB shows the choices in a nice menu at boot but when I select Gentoo it hangs after uncompressing the kernel. My grub.conf is set as:

Code:
    default 0
    timeout 30
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel (hd1,0)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hdb1

My kernel is installed and compiled correctly folowing the gnetoo install doc. Any ideas?

Advisor

Re:Gentoo Booting Problems

When you compiled your kernel, did you make sure that you enabled Virtual memory file system support, /proc file system support, /dev file system support and the automatic mounting of /dev fs at boot? Those are all required for gentoo. Also, what is the output when it hangs?

[quote author=PK link=board=2;threadid=7142;start=0#65983 date=1054272682]
    When you compiled your kernel, did you make sure that you enabled Virtual memory file system support, /proc file system support, /dev file system support and the automatic mounting of /dev fs at boot? Those are all required for gentoo. Also, what is the output when it hangs?
    [/quote]

To be honest I am not toally sure if I enabled them BUT I did use the default Gentoo kernel with some modifications for my hardware. The output is exactly as it should be but it stops at Booting the kernel (right after uncompressing).

I haven't seen that issue, but it sounds like a bad kernel - I would ask on forums.gentoo.org - they tend to have at least one guy who knows the answer to every question.

Almost undoubtably a bad kernel option. Those things that PK listed are vital...make sure they're in there.

yep I agree with the above statements - even if you take the stock kernel, you have to make changes based on your system

[/quote]

I checked my configuration and yes, all required parts are there. Has anyone used reiserfs with Gentoo? What does your fstab look like?

Code:
    /dev/sdc1      /boot      ext3      noauto,noatime      1 2
    /dev/sdc3      /      reiserfs   noatime         0 1
    /dev/sdc2      none      swap      sw         0 0
    /dev/sdc4               /music2         ext3            defaults                0 0
    reiser is part of the magic (xfs would be too if it didn't choke from time to time)

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=2;threadid=7142;start=0#66075 date=1054358320]
    [/quote]

I checked my configuration and yes, all required parts are there. Has anyone used reiserfs with Gentoo? What does your fstab look like?
    [/quote]

sorry should have thought of this before the post above - what's in your box and what do you have in for cpu and power options?

I put everything in / instead of seperating / and /boot. My fstab has notail added to the / FS.

Everything on my box is compiled for athlon-xp, which is the processor I have. As for power, I don't have anything special specified as this is a desktop box.