Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Instant Messaging Program

Kind Mastermind

Interesting Instant Messaging Program

Nullsoft has released an interesting new product (under the gpl, yeah!) called waste. This should prove itself to be quite useful.

Cheers

Re:Interesting Instant Messaging Program

HA HA!. Just kidding AOL pulled the plug on waste for now ....

Good Guru

Did anybody got a hold of it before AOL pulled it off ?

Stryder?

Kind Mastermind

That just bites! No, I did not get a copy (due to the fact that my computer hasn't been delivered yet). That just figures, AOL settles with M$, then they pull the waste source code. What a crock!

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=4;threadid=7131;start=0#66180 date=1054616107]
    Did anybody got a hold of it before AOL pulled it off ?
    [/quote]

NOTICE OF UNAUTHORIZED SOFTWARE

An unauthorized copy of Nullsoft's copyrighted software was briefly posted on this website on or about Wednesday May 28, 2003. The software was identified as "WASTE" (the "Software&quot and includes the files "waste-setup.exe", "waste-source.zip", "waste-source.tar.gz" and any additional files contained in these files.

Nullsoft is the exclusive owner of all right, title and interest in the Software. The posting of the Software on this website was not authorized by Nullsoft.

If you downloaded or otherwise obtained a copy of the Software, you acquired no lawful rights to the Software and must destroy any and all copies of the Software, including by deleting it from your computer. Any license that you may believe you acquired with the Software is void, revoked and terminated.

Any reproduction, distribution, display or other use of the Software by you is unauthorized and an infringement of Nullsoft's copyright in the Software as well as a potential violation of other laws.

Thank you.

Nullsoft
    Even if you do have the source it wouldn't be too smart to use it.

Kind Mastermind

Yup, pretty cut and dry. I wonder why they gpl'd it yet then pulled it. Very shady, these corporate types. I'm glad I work for the government ()!

Kind Mastermind

Well, things just keep on getting better for AOL, don't they? Here is the latest spat over waste.

Cheers

Good Guru

[quote author=socomm link=board=4;threadid=7131;start=0#66185 date=1054649727]
    Even if you do have the source it wouldn't be too smart to use it.
    [/quote]
    Well, why not??

I don't believe a word they say. Besides, it wasn't copyrighted ( as they lie to you ). It was GPLed. Except the fact that it was orginally hosted on Nullsoft web site and that the author is an employee of Nullsoft ( a division of AOL ), it is pretty much legal to copy, modify and re-distribute GPLed software codes.

Plus, who says it can't follow the path of Gnutella? The same thing happend to Gnutella but people modified it and it lives on.

I'm not interested in getting into file swapping ( I have enough CDs of my own to listen to, thank you very much ) nor sounds but waste had attracted me of being able to create your own file sharing network. That would be excellent piece for use in small to mid size networks looking for secure way to share data among a group such as sales/production data.

I'm sure waste code will come up again with another name. So if any of you guys see it, please post a link. Thanks.

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=4;threadid=7131;start=0#66293 date=1054875512]
    I'm sure waste code will come up again with another name. So if any of you guys see it, please post a link. Thanks.
    [/quote]

praetorian pointed this link out earlier, if you are really are interested in the source code it is available on that site. However, you need to remember that Nullsoft is a subsidiary of AOL, and depending on Justin Frankels contract he may or may not own that software. Use at your own risk.