Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Distro Next?

What Distro Next?

I've used all major distrobutions at one time or another and now I am wanting to settle down a bit. I've been looking at Gentoo (as it is reall the only major distro I havn't tried) but am worried about how much I'll actually get out of it. I really liked my LFS system .... is that similar to Gentoo or way diffrent? My MAc is spoiling me and I tried Mandrake 9.1 but it's borked (well, it's build of X) on my system 3 times today (problems with my Radeon I think).

Tell me what to do, I can't think for myself

Re:What Distro Next?

Gentoo scares me, the idea of waiting on my system to compile itself annoys me....I just dont have the patience

I just tried Mandrake 9.1 and Redhat 9 and I was not pleased, both actually crashed/froze while I was in them. Redhat was quite stingy about registration and updating, and both were kind of hideous with their logins and lilo. I just didn't like the feel I had with them, I am back on Slackware 9.0 and I am pretty sure I am slack's bitch from now on. I am going to give gentoo a try but I don't want to spend days configing and compiling right now. I have always digged slackware since I first tried it in 8.0, then 8.1 and now 9.0, it only gets better with each new release, I love it and it only took me 15-20 minutes to install.

I have never been happier with any flavour of linux than I am with Gentoo. I'd give it the highest recommendation for those on a fast connection with a reasonable processor.

why keep trying the "major" distros? there are alot of other "smaller" distros that might be interesting to try. and gentoo is not anything like an lfs system really as lfs is more work and even more hands on.

[quote author=coltrane link=board=7;threadid=7129;start=0#65911 date=1054165111]
    Gentoo scares me, the idea of waiting on my system to compile itself annoys me....I just dont have the patience
    [/quote]

You might like Rock Linux then - you have a binary setup while the system recompiles itself behind your back - sounds cool, but it's not as maintained as Gentoo is I think.

Ashcrow, you get one guess as to which distro I would recommend you try....... it's starts with a G and is named after the fastest penguin race.

Gentoo is kinda like LFS on crack and easier to maintain.. I went from LFS to Gentoo and I have no regrets.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=7;threadid=7129;start=0#65926 date=1054206309]
    [quote author=coltrane link=board=7;threadid=7129;start=0#65911 date=1054165111]
    [/quote]

You might like Rock Linux then - you have a binary setup while the system recompiles itself behind your back - sounds cool, but it's not as maintained as Gentoo is I think.
    [/quote]

because you maintain it yourself. as far as i remember only a bare base is installed and it is up to you to install what you like from source.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=7;threadid=7129;start=0#65927 date=1054206440]
    Gentoo is kinda like LFS on crack and easier to maintain.. I went from LFS to Gentoo and I have no regrets.
    [/quote]

hmmm gentoo should not be any more "on crack" than lfs ---- unless you did not set it up "right". :P

Advisor

After using RH, Slack, LFS, LR's, Knoppix, Debian....and the list goes on, I am now on Gentoo and can honestly say that it is by far my favorite. It seems to me to be the perfect combination of the speed / flexibility of LFS, with package management better (in my opinion at least) than debian.

As for those that say you need a fast net connection, i disagree, I'm on a 33.6 and have no problems, you can download a bunch of source at once and compile later, and source isn't really any bigger than binaries (smaller even?). I'm also on a slow processor (K6-2 450) but a faster one would definitely be nice, as compiles can be slow.

If you liked LFS you will probably like Gentoo, but it is definitely not for everyone. And evidently not for sarah31 since she seems to get offensive when Gentoo is even mentioned. :

My advice is just try it, if you like it, great, if not, that's great too, choice is freedom, freedom is choice. And that's what linux is all about