Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

From the "I didn't know they could do that dept." - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: From the "I didn't know they could do that dept."

Mentor
    When I tried my first Linux install, 1997, it was a nightmare. Caldera if I remember right. From then until 2002 I was fighting just to install, almost lost my wife over the problem. I tried many flavors, and all left a bad taste in my mouth.

It seems that many of the things we are talking about here will be non-issues in a year or two. The hardware detection problem is almost gone. The depends problem will fade rapidly now.

We all need to put more pressure on the OEM's to support Linux.

"there are a couple of deb-heads on the forum" Yes, the Greatful Debs, rocking into eternity.

DebianPPC is still 7 CD's.
    Steve

Almost lost my girl to she said linux or her but i told her that linux was my best friend before her and if she were to leave me then linux would be there for me then to that no matter what has ever gone down i could always depend on good oll tux.
    Since then she has relized that my choice was going to be linux and the linux community so she accepted it and all is good
    Wenn Sie Spaß meines Englisch mich Willensfuckingtötung Sie bilden.

Damn....that's two people just in this forum topic who have nearly lost SO's over Tux. Who knew that a Finnish penguin could be a home wrecker?

I got my wife off of Windows and onto Linux and she's been very happy with it...the trick is to concentrate on messing with (and breaking) your *own* computer and never, ever touch their computer unless it _needs_ to be fixed or modified. Easier said than done for most of us, I realize.

I gave up trying to convert my wife to Tux. I got so tired of her running Windows and all the issues that come with it that I got her to switch to OSX. Sure, not Linux but Unix-ish and it solved a slew of issues immediately. Just think of it like "baby steps, learn linux, baby steps"
    Too true about not messing with their computer. She absolutely HATES it when I do that. It sure is tempting tho. I just know one of these days she is going to come home and I am going to have it running some PPC Linux distro...just to say I did.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Associate

Re: From the "I didn't know they could do that dept.&qu

I'm not that comfortable with apt and really am just starting to work with it but I can say I became more comfortable with portage faster. It seems more intuitive to me.

Not that it makes much more than a mole hill of difference but my apt experience has been with Ubuntu and not pure Debian.

Quote Originally Posted by comtux";p="2831
    Almost lost my girl to she said linux or her but i told her that linux was my best friend before her and if she were to leave me then linux would be there for me then to that no matter what has ever gone down i could always depend on good oll tux.
    Since then she has relized that my choice was going to be linux and the linux community so she accepted it and all is good
    Did LadyTux read this??

Quote Originally Posted by mcangeli";p="2761
    Bah. Apt. bah.

tar zxf oil-change.tar.gz
    cd oil-change
    ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/oil/pan
    make && make install

Thats the only true way to do it...... :wink:
    Actually it's:
    ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=i686
    make
    su -
    make install DESTDIR=/work/builds
    cd /work/builds
    makepackage oil-change-i686-1.tgz

Behold the power of Slack. :shock:

Later,
    MMYoung

Heh.... except, once I have something installed, I generally don't make packages out of it.

Well if you think about it, making the packages after the compile would be good if you ever needed to reinstall.

I love apt get, but I am pretty impressed with slack's pkgtools.