Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

From the "I didn't know they could do that dept." - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: From the "I didn't know they could do that dept."

Advisor
    i like the basic debian install... don't need knoppix/libranet/wtf_ever

Here's to ya, mac! You're the first person that I can think of on the site to have saluted the old school 7-CD install (although, damn. The new beta installers are pretty slick compared to the old one.)

I still like libranet too much to ditch it. The only thing is that with version 2.8.1 and my growing (albeit modest) understanding of the real nitty gritty of APT, I probably won't *need* version 3.0 when it comes out.

Too bad the LN mailing list was such a nightmare...

Mentor
    Bah. Apt. bah.
    That wasn't a very APT comment. How about we all turn towards Atlanta and give him a m00n!

Advisor
    7 cds!... wtf are you talking about... i just download one cd... everything after the first is un-needed, but yea, i really love debian

I am giving Debian a try this week. I got the minimul CD downloaded (woody). Tho is seems really out of date. I suppose I am going to have to update pretty much everything, aren't I? Thats cool tho, I need more practice installing a new kernel, I haven't done it much.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Advisor
    updating it is as simple as adding the testing and unstable lines to your sources file and then

Code:
    # apt-get update
    # apt-get dist-upgrade

That's useless if you are using Dial-Up internet.
    My Website:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Website Uptime:

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by beezlebubsbum
    That's useless if you are using Dial-Up internet.
    ummm..... no

Well even if it is, fortunately I have DSL so its not really an issue with me. Thanks for the advice maccorin. I'll let you know if I have any other Debian-esk questions as I try to install it this week.
    jro -

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

maccorin, the original Debian install was 7 disks small. There are various versions on one CD (which I'm happy to see jro's using instead...)

jro, the only sticky point with a dist-upgrade against testing and (especially) unstable sources is that you may run into dependency problems. That being said, doing a dist-upgrade as the first thing you do after a clean install then installing programs as needed is definitely the best way to do it (since there's less stuff to conflict with a minimal install and subsequent installs take your existing dependencies into account.)

So, uh, yeah, have fun! If you have any problems post 'em; there are a couple of deb-heads on the forum.