Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone wanna give me opinions on my maybe upgrade

Anyone wanna give me opinions on my maybe upgrade

Since you guys have been helpful before, I thought maybe you could help me again

sorry if you guys and gals have had a bunch of these topics and are sick of them, but I really know nothing about hardware, and would appreciate any help

here is the hardrive i was thinking of going with -

Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7200RPM ST380011A Hard Drive OEM
    Specifications:
    Size: 80 Gigabytes
    Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA100
    Seek time: 9ms
    RPM:7200
    Cache 2MB
    OEM(Drive alone) 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty Model#: ST380011A -OEM

$85.00

although trickster did post about Best Buy selling that western digital for $59 dollars. I dont know maybe i should go for that instead ??

this is the memory I am thinking of going with -

Crucial Micron 512MB 64x64 PC2100 DDR RAM, 184-Pin, CL=2.5-Unbuffered 2.5V, 6-Layers
    CT6464Z265 Requires DDR supported Motherboard - Lifetime Warranty. Model#: CT6464Z265 -OEM

$61.00

here is the processor i was thinking about -

Intel Pentium 4 1.8GHz 256K Socket 478 Processor 400MHz Processor Bus
    Specifications:
    CPU: 1.8GHz
    Type: Pentium 4
    Cache: 256K
    BUS: 400MHz
    Socket: 478
    Retail (Box with Heatsink and Fan) Model#: BX80531NK180G

$122.00

here is the soundcard which i am thinking about -

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Dolby Digital 5.1 SB0220 - OEM
    PCI 32-bit, 1024-voice Environmental Audio Sound Card, now with Dolby Digital 5.1 support
    EMU10K1 Digital Signal Processor provides studio quality sound reproduction for digital processing and playback of MP3, WMA, WAV, Internet Audio, MIDI, and CD audio.
    EAX Environmental Audio Effects allows gamers to hear sounds coming from all around them over multiple speaker configurations with full EAX support Not Compatible with Unitek Spdif Port Adapter, Model#: 70SB022200000

$33.00 on sale

here are the speakers -

Altec 221 2.1 Amplified Speaker 3 Piece System - RETAIL
    Specifications:
    20 Watts Total Continuous Power RMS (2x4.36 W/Satellites; 10.5 W/Sub)
    50 Watts Total Peak Power
    Frequency Response: 35 Hz ~ 18 kHz
    Compact Subwoofer
    Built-In Controls
    Headphone Jack
    Total Connectivity
    Quality Stereo
    Distinctive, All-Decor Styling
    Color-Coded Cables
    Shielded Satellites Model#: 221

$38.00

I picked this stuff, cause it wasnt to expensive, and i dont have much money for an upgrade

Also I have to find out if my motherboard can support this stuff. So do i have to open my case to find out what my motherboard is, or can i find out through windows ?? And then check the manufacturers website to see if it supports this stuff ?? I am a moron on this stuff.

So the things like the memory may have to change if my mobo doesnt support it, this is just what i was thinking about cause total this comes to about 330.00 which is in my price range.

But if anybody has any suggestions or a nice upgrade for cheaper or around the same price. I am all ears.

thanks for any help, sorry for the long post.

Re:Anyone wanna give me opinions on my maybe upgrade

That sounds pretty good, all of it. The prices are not bad. I really like those Seagate Hardrives. You can barely hear them

Your motherboard manufacturer's site should be able to tell you what your mb supports.

I don't know if Best Buy has any of those hard drives left, but it'd be worth it to drop by and check. I bought one, and it is working quite good.

I'd say check www.pricewatch.com. They have good prices there.

Either I'm blind or didn't list the motherboard you're planning to use. Still, at the risk of starting a flame war I'd suggest looking at an AMD proc instead of the Intel. You'll get allot more bang for your buck with the AMD processor and the mobo won't cost you any extra.

I'd also suggest getting pc2700 over pc2100.

I like your choice of Soundcard. For as much bad press the SB Live's get I think they sound really good in Linux. They're a good card for the money.

Regards..

[quote author=Scott Tiger link=board=3;threadid=7109;start=0#65797 date=1053997945]
    Either I'm blind or didn't list the motherboard you're planning to use. Still, at the risk of starting a flame war I'd suggest looking at an AMD proc instead of the Intel. You'll get allot more bang for your buck with the AMD processor and the mobo won't cost you any extra.

I'd also suggest getting pc2700 over pc2100.

I like your choice of Soundcard. For as much bad press the SB Live's get I think they sound really good in Linux. They're a good card for the money.

Regards..
    [/quote]
    I think he has a P4 motherboard, thus, his choosing of processors.

Seagate drives are fucking sweet man. I picked one up when my IBM bit the big one and this puppy is silent.

i also like seagate drives.

how to determine the maainboard type under windows... well i think there is a way, look around in the device manager - although i am not sure.

the rest of teh hardware looks good, i like my sb live, and i would also go with quicker memory - it should be close in price.

hey thanks for the nice replies guys

but I opened my case and was looking for markings on my mobo and couldnt find any except a bunch of intel chips(???), not the processor but other chips thrown about I guess, i dont know what they are for

SCOTT TIGER - i didnt list my motherboard because I really didnt know what it was ( still dont after i opened it ), but since i have an intel 3 right now I figured I had a motherboard for intel chip set

PBHARRIS - I tried device mamnager before i posted this and it didnt tell me anything

today I found my DELL reference and trouble shooting guide

and i found out I cant use ddr memory, only sdram ( up to 768 )

so i was thinking of just saving some trouble and going with a new motherboard, it will put the price up higher, but maybe it will be better in the long run ...

also maybe i should try AMD, anybody know of a good motherboard thats not to expensive ??

any suggestions opinions ?? tell me if you need more info or anything

thanks again for your help you guys are great

Is your computer a Dell? What model is it?

You can usually get a good AthlonXp/motherboard combo for less than $150

http://www.pricewatch.com/menus/m306.htm

yes its a Dell its a xps t700r

thanks for that link

from it i found this, I am thinking of going with it, but i was wondering if evrything else i have listed would be compatible with it..

http://www.compubuzz.com/product_inf...roducts_id=147

Check this Same motherboard, faster cpu, less expensive.

That sounds like a good offer. However, I am not sure if that motherboard supports the speed of the DDR memory you are thinking of buying.

If you were willing to spend a bit more, I'd say try to get a newer Soyo, Abit or Asus board.

Perhaps something like this or this or this.