Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Couple of annoying problems

Thread: Couple of annoying problems

Couple of annoying problems

1) have Win98 on hda1 (lilo on mbr) and Slack 9 on hdb3 - thing is, I can access the windows drive as root, but I can't change the permissions or the ownership so that I can access it as a user. If I do a chmod or chown to the user, I get "operation not permitted" or something similar. How can root not be permitted to change ownership or permissions?

2) noob question - where do I change Gnome 2.2 so that I can reboot the machine as a user, i.e. with a selection on the shutdown menu. Now I don't have the menu item as user. I have to open a console and su to root and do a reboot.

Thanks.

Re:Couple of annoying problems

[quote author=binary_boy link=board=1;threadid=7107;start=0#65782 date=1053975265]
    1) have Win98 on hda1 (lilo on mbr) and Slack 9 on hdb3 - thing is, I can access the windows drive as root, but I can't change the permissions or the ownership so that I can access it as a user. If I do a chmod or chown to the user, I get "operation not permitted" or something similar. How can root not be permitted to change ownership or permissions?
    [/quote]
    put this in in /etc/fstab - it assumes your users group is 100
    Code:
    /dev/hda1 /dos vfat defaults,user,ro,umask=002,gid=100 0 0

[quote author=binary_boy link=board=1;threadid=7107;start=0#65782 date=1053975265]
    2) noob question - where do I change Gnome 2.2 so that I can reboot the machine as a user, i.e. with a selection on the shutdown menu. Now I don't have the menu item as user. I have to open a console and su to root and do a reboot.

Thanks.
    [/quote]

i think you can do a suis on then shutdown command2 - for me it defaults to users being able to shutdown using gdm
    here is a PET on setting suid. this is not recommended for secuity purposes.

http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...play&id=67

Re:Couple of annoying problems

Thanks PB!