Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

question to the community

Thread: question to the community

Hybrid View

question to the community

Apple has made great improvements with their software and business plans. Actually having a good operating system and computer and ideas such as the ipod apple might just keep alive for a while to come, which i hope they do. Although i have a question that is just burning inside.

How come they do not create some of their software for cross platform? Such as why wont they make quicktime for cross platform on linux? Or their new song share program? Anybody help me answer this, thanks!

Re:question to the community

Because Apple is you, without the first "e". Thats right, youre pinehead, and they are pinheads.

Have you seen a MAC recently? It looks like a KDE desktop! Oh thats right, the underlying structure is BSD.....bah!!!

ok Im done.

No, Im not.
    Its insane I tell you. Give me Quicktime for Linux you stingy b@st@rds!!!

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=coltrane link=board=11;threadid=7106;start=0#65762 date=1053955179]
    Because Apple is you, without the first "e". Thats right, youre pinehead, and they are pinheads.

Have you seen a MAC recently? It looks like a KDE desktop! Oh thats right, the underlying structure is BSD.....bah!!!

ok Im done.

No, Im not.
    Its insane I tell you. Give me Quicktime for Linux you stingy b@st@rds!!!
    [/quote]

Feel better now?

[quote author=pinehead link=board=11;threadid=7106;start=0#65754 date=1053924517]
    How come they do not create some of their software for cross platform? Such as why wont they make quicktime for cross platform on linux?
    [/quote]

Simply put, Apple is a 100% comercial company and they don't think that porting Quicktime to Linux would yeild a profit. In the meantime you can use MPlayer which support quicktime.

Or their new song share program? Anybody help me answer this, thanks!
    They arn't making a port to windows either of their mp3 purchasing program iTunes. Insead they are making a web based version for non Mac users to enjoy but it hasn't been unvailed yet.

Advisor

I heard a little while back that they planned on porting OS X to x86, but decided not to because their hardware sales would die if this happened. I still think it would have been cool to have OS X on x86, a hell of a lot better than Winblows.

But maybe this is another reason not to port things, so that people have more reasons to use Apples.

[quote author=PK link=board=11;threadid=7106;start=0#66468 date=1055289908]
    I heard a little while back that they planned on porting OS X to x86, but decided not to because their hardware sales would die if this happened. I still think it would have been cool to have OS X on x86, a hell of a lot better than Winblows.
    [/quote]

You can download Darwin for X86 and then just put your favorite X interface on top of it. The only thing that Apple owns is the Aqua interface. Darwin is still free.

Apple is and always will be out to make a profit, but at least they manage their profits well, look at their products compared to Seattle Software Co. (M$FT) (who happens to yield about 95% more profit) :-P

However much i like KDE, it's not really any comparison to aqua. One area I dislike about XFree/KDE is the crappy looking fonts you often get. While dodgy fonts support is not KDE's fault entirely, it doesn't help that to add new fonts you have to mess around with ttmkfdir and such (well, depending on your font server). Also something about KDE just slightly doesn't feel right.

On saying that I think KDE is damn fine software for something that is Free As In Beer. Definitely usable.

Anyway, I'm with the other lads on this one. It doesn't make financial sense for Apple to produce iPhoto, iMovie or Final Cut Express (or any other piece of software) for linux. Mostly because linux isn't really meant for such multimedia editing programs, although i think iTunes might have a place on linux. But until then we've always got RhythmBox

i love os x, hate quicktime, and itunes is okay but for me it is gimped because they do not have music store for canadians yet.

use mplayer if you want quicktime capabilities, personally i can generally do without both wmp and qt. i don't think apple will ever release a linux version unless there was a financial gain in it for them. right now i don't think there would be. personally i don't think they are concerned with loss of sales of their hasrdware in this aspect but just recouping their initial effort in porting it. why port if you cannot recoup the cost in some way shape or form. i know lots of linux users that would pay for a quicktime version but even more that would not.

as for itunes....other than the music store which is only a US offering right now there are lots of apps that are just as good for ripping/burning music. it would be nice to have better support for aac though.