Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux is slow

Hybrid View

Linux is slow

right now I dual boot on my pc, between win2k and slack 9.0. Now I don't think this is just a slackware issue but just one in general in linux because I have encountered it with every program on every distro I have tried so far, Redhat Mandrake, Slackware, and Root and I am about to try Gentoo. Now what I have noticed is that the more I lean into favoring Linux as my primary OS I have an issue with the speed of the GUI. It takes seconds and I have occured minutes for a program to open. My pc is a P4 2.5ghz with 512 DDR on a 64mb Geforce2 and Seagate 40gb 7200rpm. When I am in windows, stuff opens on the fly, I blink and it is open, it works like it should on a p4 2.5ghz. However when I am in Linux, not only does it take it's time booting up checking everything and mounting everything in the system. Then when I am actually using the system and I open an application like xchat, gaim, xmms, gimp, whatever application I want to use. They always take between 5-10seconds to open. Sometimes I open an application and it never opens, so I think I didn't double click it and I do it again with the same results. I then like 4 minutes later find the program pop up twice (from opening it twice) it has just taken incredibly slow. Now is there a reason applications do not open in linux as fast as they do in windows, is there a reason the system is not using my computers speed like it should? I thought I heard Lovechild talk once about pre-linking making stuff open in a snap (though I don't know how to do that and havent tried. I was just wondering what makes the system so slow. Can anyone help me out? I would love to see my computer run as fast as it should.

Re:Linux is slow

A misconfigured kernel can do such. Prelinking can be good too.

I am running SuSE 8.2 with KDE on a 1.8 GHz PC with 256 meg of PC2100 RAM. It runs almost as fast as my Win98 box at work, and faster than the XP boxes I have played with.

With the KDE quickstarter in the tray, OpenOffice.org runs very fast too.

[quote author=burntash link=board=12;threadid=7105;start=0#65752 date=1053920835]
    right now I dual boot on my pc, between win2k and slack 9.0. Now I don't think this is just a slackware issue but just one in general in linux because I have encountered it with every program on every distro I have tried so far, Redhat Mandrake, Slackware, and Root and I am about to try Gentoo. Now what I have noticed is that the more I lean into favoring Linux as my primary OS I have an issue with the speed of the GUI. It takes seconds and I have occured minutes for a program to open. My pc is a P4 2.5ghz with 512 DDR on a 64mb Geforce2 and Seagate 40gb 7200rpm. When I am in windows, stuff opens on the fly, I blink and it is open, it works like it should on a p4 2.5ghz. However when I am in Linux, not only does it take it's time booting up checking everything and mounting everything in the system. Then when I am actually using the system and I open an application like xchat, gaim, xmms, gimp, whatever application I want to use. They always take between 5-10seconds to open. Sometimes I open an application and it never opens, so I think I didn't double click it and I do it again with the same results. I then like 4 minutes later find the program pop up twice (from opening it twice) it has just taken incredibly slow. Now is there a reason applications do not open in linux as fast as they do in windows, is there a reason the system is not using my computers speed like it should? I thought I heard Lovechild talk once about pre-linking making stuff open in a snap (though I don't know how to do that and havent tried. I was just wondering what makes the system so slow. Can anyone help me out? I would love to see my computer run as fast as it should.
    [/quote]
    I have noticed the same.

I would try a ck kernel, it seems to be the best 2.4 kernel out there for desktop usage. I disagree that Linux is slow, find it the snappist of the two OSs mentioned, then again I tweaked the shit out of my system.

one other thing would be hdparm -d1 -X69 -c1 /dev/hda fx - which enables dma and ata100 for your hd, this also improves performance.

Is there a PET about tweaking linux until it screams?

that would be good, because it is a shame that when I use linux I have to wait so long for apps to open, it gets tiresome. When I open something, I expect it to open.

Thats something wrong with you system, because my linux box is noticeable quicker than my XP partition opening things. Except Mozilla and OpenOffice, KDE moves just as fast if not faster than Win XP.

2000xp
    512mb ram
    ti4200
    dual 40gb hdds

I dunno, it has happened on my other AMD 1.3ghz 256mb ram geforce2. I don't think it could be a problem with the computer itself.

[quote author=C++freak link=board=12;threadid=7105;start=0#65796 date=1053994344]
    Is there a PET about tweaking linux until it screams?
    [/quote]

Well, one could be made.. but it's heavily depended on who much effort you are willing to put into it, and what you are willing to risk for speed.