Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux is slow

Good Guru

Re:Linux is slow

My box is P 233 with 128 MB of RAM and 8 GB ATA33 5400 RPM drive in it.

As much as I hate to admit it, RH 7.3 and Debian 3.0 both runs a lot slower than Win 2K that I have it on. Sure, Linux runs faster in console mode but how much work can you get off of console?
    I believe Windows advantage is its integration of GUI with OS. I saw the same kind of thing happen in Win 3.11. Now, Win2K runs a lot faster than Win95 which used to be on this little box.

Advisor

X does have something to do with it in my opinion, it's not integrated right into the system (which is both good and bad) and is a little slow. I would personally like to see fresco get it's feet off the ground, but that's just me. The windows GUI is partly written in assembly to speed things up, which could have something to do with it aswell, although there may be assembly used in X too, I don't know.

If you want to speed up your hard drive, I wrote a tutorial here

My gentoo system is the fastest I've ever used on my computer, and I think it may be largely due to the kernel. I have finally started to really get the hang of compiling my own kernel and find a pretty decent speed improvement. Also, enabling the low latency option in the kernel makes a big difference on the desktop.

As for prelink, there is a tutorial on doing this under gentoo here. I can't see there being too much of a difference for doing this on other distro's once you have prelink installed.

if I'm not misstaken there is work going on to create a new X which is only client and not like it is today where xfree86 is both server and client.

Good Guru

[quote author=PK link=board=12;threadid=7105;start=0#65989 date=1054273875]
    I can't see there being too much of a difference for doing this on other distro's once you have prelink installed.
    [/quote]

Actually on RH9, they ship a prelink rpm, and it makes a boatload of difference.

Advisor

[quote author=Schotty link=board=12;threadid=7105;start=0#66420 date=1055182569]
    [quote author=PK link=board=12;threadid=7105;start=0#65989 date=1054273875]
    I can't see there being too much of a difference for doing this on other distro's once you have prelink installed.
    [/quote]

Actually on RH9, they ship a prelink rpm, and it makes a boatload of difference.
    [/quote]

What I meant was the actual prelinking wouldn't be different, not the difference in speed