Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Connecting to my wep encrypted routwork

Yeah, there are a few GUIs (I think KDE has the only one that I have been able to get to work) but I just write shell scripts for the networks I use and run them when i need them.

I think I will start my first major coding project here pretty soon (next week) which will be a basic GUI interface to the iwconfig tool as well as somthing that will allow you to see the available networks

Associate
    cool hey where can i get a prism card? im looking on the net but i cant find any thing?

Well, I use a netgear MA401RA, which is prism based but the orinoco drivers dont play nice with it. The hostap drivers work spectacularly sniffing and enctyption and the like. Pretty good range from what I can tell as well. (hostap for ad-hoc networking even works great which is loads of fun at school or where there is no wireless connection but some friends you want to play games with. I look forward to playing with when i gete some friends :lol: )

If you desire the 802.11b/g I hear good things about the netgear wg511 which is supposed to be a breeze, but dont quote me on that

Advisor
    i use the ma401ra... with linux-wlan-ng, and 2.6... ;p works fine, and i think your wrong about it being deprecated

Linux-Wlan-NGis being depreciatedby thebuilt in kernel modules (orinoco_cs is supposed to take care of it) however with those few souls,yourself and me that have an MA401RA, the orinoco_cs still does not seem to get the job done (as I am sure you are aware) linux-wlan-ng would not build against my 2.6.8 kernel an even if it would have, its not as feature rich (missing Ad-Hoc networking)as the hostap driver which has so far not given me an problems.

that said, whatever works best for you is invariably your best choice so in no way do I want you to change or anything

Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by ZennouRyuu
    Linux-Wlan-NGis being depreciatedby thebuilt in kernel modules (orinoco_cs is supposed to take care of it)
    I tried the orinoco_cs as well... no luck
    however with those few souls,yourself and me that have an MA401RA, the orinoco_cs still does not seem to get the job done (as I am sure you are aware) linux-wlan-ng would not build against my 2.6.8 kernel
    I haven't gone .8 yet, but it builds on 2.6.7 for me without alteration
    and even if it would have, its not as feature rich (missing Ad-Hoc networking)
    ?really!? i haven't needed ad-hoc yet, but i was under a different impression, well shit :/
    as the hostap driver which has so far not given me an problems.

that said, whatever works best for you is invariably your best choice so in no way do I want you to change or anything
    of course