Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

work....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: work....

work....

don't get me wrong - i am very grateful to have a job.

[vent]
    but these people are working me like there is no tomarrow. 60 hours per week and every minute of it is busy busy busy.

last week they laid people off - one of my co-workers was laid off and that just means i have to work more. its getting quite frustrating. and i really doubt working as much as i am is gonna help me much on the next round of layoffs - which i am sure there will be.

and there are these very high level managers in by me trying to tell me how to do thier job - and while they are bright i know they don't know everything. and they can be freaking rude.

plus i don't don't get to spend near as much time with the kids and here at ljr.
    [/vent]

Re:work....

I know what you mean. Work at my workplace has been busy like hell lately. (Except yesterday, when I had NO service calls at all. What a boring day....)

But I am working for a goverment company, and although the pay could be better, there haven't been any layoffs, and I don't think there will be, because the goverment can't go bankrupt, and people will always need Utilities. Plus they are not there to make money, so they don't save by letting people go.

I had thought at times to try to go into the private sector, but I don't think I will for a while, until the job market gets better.

because the goverment can't go bankrupt
    Then why in early/mid 1995 did the Military(and possibly the entire government) get their pay checks late? It may be a diferent reason than I think, but I remember not getting Payed untill a week or two later than it should have been.

Well, pbharris, if makes you feel any better the same thing is happening out in the non-IT areas too. My company laid off a number of our field techs and junior scientists, and now I have to do a lot of field grunt work in addition to being a project manager and scientist. Eats up a lot of time.

[quote author=Whiz link=board=14;threadid=7097;start=0#65700 date=1053785224]
    because the goverment can't go bankrupt
    Then why in early/mid 1995 did the Military(and possibly the entire government) get their pay checks late? It may be a diferent reason than I think, but I remember not getting Payed untill a week or two later than it should have been.
    [/quote]

bank·rupt
    n.

1. Law. A debtor that, upon voluntary petition or one invoked by the debtor's creditors, is judged legally insolvent. The debtor's remaining property is then administered for the creditors or is distributed among them.
    2. A person who is totally lacking in a specified resource or quality: an intellectual bankrupt.

adj.

1. Having been legally declared financially insolvent.
    2. Financially ruined; impoverished.
    1. Depleted of valuable qualities or characteristics: a morally and ethically bankrupt politician.
    2. Totally depleted; destitute: was bankrupt of new ideas.
    3. Being in a ruined state: a bankrupt foreign policy.

I don't know why they received late paychecks, but according to this definition, it was not because they were bankrupt.

Governments can go bankrupt - remember the USSR ?

[quote author=pbharris link=board=14;threadid=7097;start=0#65690 date=1053748876]

and there are these very high level managers ... while they are bright ...
    [/quote]

Thanks. I needed a laugh

bankruptcy doesn't only have to be measured fiscally, governments often give off the stench of being morally bankrupt

[quote author=pbharris link=board=14;threadid=7097;start=0#65690 date=1053748876]
    but these people are working me like there is no tomarrow. 60 hours per week and every minute of it is busy busy busy.
    [/quote]

well my company is building a F1 racing curcuit in my country, in my work I work more than 80 hrs/week sometimes 90, with no overtime, they do promise a bonus when the project is finished, but sometimes I wonder if anything is worth that...

plus i don't don't get to spend near as much time with the kids and here at ljr.
    I don't have kids now but you can imagine how my wife feels about my work, plus I have much little time I can steal to work w/ computers

------------------------
    Knowledge is Power
    ------------------------

[quote author=the jester link=board=14;threadid=7097;start=0#65710 date=1053792272]
    bankruptcy doesn't only have to be measured fiscally, governments often give off the stench of being morally bankrupt
    [/quote]

I think that would cover them all - don't ya think ?