Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Internet Installation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Installation

Internet Installation

I just got my old system (AMD 700mhz) out of the closet and realized I don't have a linux distro installed. It has a 10gb HD, 128mb of mem and a Ricoh cd burner, which seems not to read burned CDs for some reason. Winxp pro is on C drive and I got bout 4gb for linux left.

Anyway, I was wondering if I wanted to install Debian base using floppies to get started, would this be a very long net install? I also have a 56K connection with an external Robotics modem! If the connection get broken will it start where it left off when I restart it?

Debian website mention to create six floppy disks total, Rescue, Root, and 4 driver disks.

Is this all I need to get started with? Comments & suggestions welcome!

Thnx.

Advisor

Re:Internet Installation

Well, I really have no idea on the subject to be honest, but I am on dialup and have personally stayed away from net installs, I've found that it's most likely easier to get an ISO and install (or 3 iso's for the entire debian....or is it more than that?) That's just my 2 cents.

[quote author=GhostDawg link=board=7;threadid=7050;start=0#65396 date=1053311740]
    It has a 10gb HD, 128mb of mem and a Ricoh cd burner, which seems not to read burned CDs for some reason.
    [/quote]
    CD drive will not read cd's that are created, but will read store bought cds. Any ideas on why this is happening? Drive going bad or something?

Thnx.

The fact that your on dialup should warn you away. Most installs are around 700k-1or 2gb. Get some cds man.

Thnx for the replies...I just wanted to give it a shot for the hell of it. Anyway, I couldn't figure out how to configure ppp.

Also, after reading Debian's site, I found this info:

If your computer's only network connection is via a serial line, using PPP or an equivalent dialup connection, you will not be able to install the base system over the network.

So what i need is a cd drive that's working. I should get one soon.

IF u have two puters, setup a network install. I learned a little the first time I did one.

Good Guru

[quote author=M0u|/|ta1|/|Ma|/| link=board=7;threadid=7050;start=0#65458 date=1053430838]
    IF u have two puters, setup a network install. I learned a little the first time I did one.
    [/quote]

yup NFS it.

Well I still took the long route, I got Debian 3.0 base system installed using, : floppy disks! It took a total of 26 disk with only one of the group being bad (base disk 8
    ).

I got my dialup connection working, it dial's out and seems to connect, but it don't seem to ever send or receive data, those lights never blink. I'm trying to do an apt-get update for my sources.list.

One thing I noticed when I viewed my ttyS0 port, the permission is set like this, crw-r-----, but the other three ports permission is set like this, crw-rw----, would this make a difference and if I need to reset ttyS0 how would I do it.

Thnx.

Check your dns settings and make sure that your network gateway points to the ppp0 interface.

[quote author=M0u|/|ta1|/|Ma|/| link=board=7;threadid=7050;start=0#65557 date=1053549577]
    Check your dns settings and make sure that your network gateway points to the ppp0 interface.
    [/quote]
    If I use pppsetup, will I be able to point it towards the ppp0 interface? I don't understand how to make it point to it manually either.