Thread: Can it be done?

Kind Mastermind

Can it be done?

I have been wondering about something ever since I got up a couple of hours ago. Is it possible to take a regular pair of stereo speakers and connect them directly to my HP monitor (it has a built in ten-watt amp and has two seperate speaker outputs for right and left channel speakers). I would imagine that I would have to figure out some way of attaching an RCA type connector to the ends of the speakers. Do they make such connectors that you can just go out and buy? If so, where should I look? I'm going to do a google search in a minute, so don't bother to suggest it. I'm just trying to solicite ideas and such.

In case your wondering, I mailed my stereo to myself and the USPS busted my little Microsystem up. It still works, but not quite like it should. So, since the speakers came through unscathed, I thought that I might try to get some use out of them.

Cheers

Re:Can it be done?

It might. Just depends on the wattage of the speakers. If they're 50W or more, you'll probably need a higher wattage amp. Otherwise you'll get a very quiet output or mone at all.

Fearing your impending death I would advice against this - it is my experince that nothing good comes from these types of hacks.

Sound quality normally sucks because those amps are poor anyways, it would be a pitty to hook better speakers up to them than the crappy ones it came with.

Sorry to hear about your stereo - I hope you got the package insured, if that's the case - no problem, otherwise... weep like a baby.

[quote author=Whiz link=board=14;threadid=7072;start=0#65490 date=1053469570]
    It might. Just depends on the wattage of the speakers. If they're 50W or more, you'll probably need a higher wattage amp. Otherwise you'll get a very quiet output or mone at all.
    [/quote]

Speakers are passive components- they are not rated in watts like that. The "watts" rating for a loudspeaker in the estimated maximum continous watts the speaker can take before being damaged.

The important thing is the speaker's impedance compared to the output of the amp. I suspect you would have a poor match with the monitor output and RCA type connections. You can get the RCA type speaker wire from RadioShack.

Also important is the speaker's efficiency rating- the higher the efficency the less power you need.

Ten watts is plenty of power for small rooms and normal volumes. I use to run a 3.5 watt tube amp into a pair of big Klipsch speakers and it would shake the world.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=14;threadid=7072;start=0#65492 date=1053470984]
    Fearing your impending death I would advice against this - it is my experince that nothing good comes from these types of hacks.

Sound quality normally sucks because those amps are poor anyways, it would be a pitty to hook better speakers up to them than the crappy ones it came with.

Sorry to hear about your stereo - I hope you got the package insured, if that's the case - no problem, otherwise... weep like a baby.
    [/quote]

Luckily the stereo was insured. So, I don't have to weep like a baby . Unfortunately, it might take a bit of time to get the money back. Luckily, I have nothing but time (11+ months before parole!).

Cheers