Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/misc/au8830.o failed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/misc/au8830.o failed

Hybrid View

modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/misc/au8830.o failed

Hey Gang,

I've just installed Mandrake 9.1. All is well (and it looks really cool), but I was just unable to install the sound drivers for my Aureal (Turtle Beach Montego II) 8830 sound card. I've had to install these manually since mandrake 8.0 (maybe 7.2), but it usually works.

Evidently, the module for this card was compiled using gcc2, whereas the kernel was compiled using gcc3.

I'm no programmer, and only dimly understand what's going on here.

Is there a way for me to recompile this module using gcc3, so that it works with my kernel? I didn't see the source for this driver on source forge, but figure that it must be out there somewhere. If I'm on the right track, how would I go about compiling it? Is source code written with particular compilers in mind (such that I wouldn't be able to just recompile the code using gcc3?).

Is it finally time to buy or pilfer a new sound card?

Thanks,

M

Re:modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/misc/au8830.o failed

hello,
    if you can find the source recompling should be all you need, just a ./configure, make and make install should a=be all you need.

Cool - though I'm not sure how I'd do it. Here's the link to a bunch of files that are in the archive I've used in the past.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/v...aureal/aureal/

I tried to look at some of them, but can't make sense of anything.

How would I go about telling my box to compile the source using gcc3 instead of gcc2?

There are a few files on sourceforge that look like they were designed to work with 2.5......Is there any reason to think that these would work better with my kernel 2.4 (my guess is no...., but then again, what do I know ;-)

THanks,

M

hello,
    to have gcc3 be the default compiler change the CC=gcc to CC=gcc3 in the Makefile. you may wish to make sure you are not already usiing gcc3 by default - open a terminal and type gcc -v to check.

here is what is did to duplicate it with the latest stuff.
    Code:
    cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/aureal login 

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/aureal co aureal

cd aureal

ls

make
    it would not finish because it said i don't have an aureal card, hopefully it should for you.

[quote author=pbharris link=board=1;threadid=7000;start=0#65075 date=1052793495]
    ...you may wish to make sure you are not already usiing gcc3 by default - open a terminal and type gcc -v to check.
    [/quote]

Thanks - it's gcc 3.22

Code:
    cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/aureal login 

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/aureal co aureal

cd aureal

ls

make
    it would not finish because it said i don't have an aureal card, hopefully it should for you.
    This is great. I can't believe CVS - so cool....

Well, it looked like it finished - I got no errors, but I still have no sound.

WHen I tried to play some mp3s, I got the following alert:

Sound server information message:

Error while initializing the sound driver

device /dev/dsp can't opened (No such file or directory)

The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
    For the record, I followed the installation directions in the README, and so ran make (au8830), and then make install.

Thanks again for shedding some light on this.

Mentor

You probably still need to actually install the module. I don't know what it'll be called, but once thats installed it'll give you /dev/dsp, check the permissions on it as well while you're at it. HTH
    CP

also if you did not run depmod -a please do so.

[quote author=CP link=board=1;threadid=7000;start=0#65083 date=1052807768]
    You probably still need to actually install the module. I don't know what it'll be called, but once thats installed it'll give you /dev/dsp, check the permissions on it as well while you're at it. HTH
    CP
    [/quote]

I don't see /dev/dsp, so I may have not done it after this cvs install.

You know, I tried this a lot of different ways - mostly methods described on a the forums:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=25250

Given that I did try this a few times unsuccessfully, how should I back out of those trials? If a module failed to install, am I correct to assume that it won't "hurt" the subsequent install of correct modules?

also if you did not run depmod -a please do so
    Yeah, I didn't do this. I'll try it this evening.

Thanks!

hello,
    you should see a /dev/dsp w/ or w/o a module loaded, unless it is using devfs...

depmod -a took a while to complete, but reported no errors. Nevertheless, it didn't work.

I see devfs loading while booting up, and see it in the logs. What does it mean if I don't see /dev/dsp?

In terms of actually installing the module, I went ahead and retried it, and got the following:

# insmod -f au8830

Using /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/misc/au8830.o
    Warning: The module you are trying to load (/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/misc/au8830.o) is compiled with a gcc
    version 2 compiler, while the kernel you are running is compiled with
    a gcc version 3 compiler. This is known to not work.
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/misc/au8830.o: unresolved symbol register_sound_midi_R82a43a6b
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/misc/au8830.o: unresolved symbol register_sound_dsp_R16aa6112
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/misc/au8830.o: unresolved symbol unregister_sound_mixer_R7afc9d8a
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/misc/au8830.o: unresolved symbol register_sound_mixer_R84905678
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/misc/au8830.o: unresolved symbol unregister_sound_dsp_Rcd083b10
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/misc/au8830.o: unresolved symbol unregister_sound_special_R99c95fa5
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/misc/au8830.o: unresolved symbol register_sound_special_R9a9cbba5
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/misc/au8830.o: unresolved symbol unregister_sound_midi_Rfdab6de3
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/misc/au8830.o:
    Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
    and it has unresolved symbols. Contact the module supplier for
    assistance, only they can help you.

I had read about hexediting the au8830.o file and changing the gcc2 part to gcc3 (it worked for someone).

I reran it, and *didn't* get the error about the gcc2 vs gcc3, but did get the remaining notices about unresolved symbols.

Still no /dev/dsp (there there's dvd, discs, and disc0 and disc1).