Thread: Digital sound connection

Mentor

Digital sound connection

I've got this new digital cable box. I noticed that in the back there is a RCA socket labelled 'Digital Audio Out'.
    Now, I get a bunch of commercial-free, digital radio stations on the cable box. I figured, if I could connect the cable box to my computer using the digital audio connection, I could save some songs that I like on my hard drive and burn it on a CD.
    The question is, is this possible, and if so, what kind of PC hardware (digital audio card?) would I need to make the connection? Has anyone tried to do this?

Good Guru

Re:Digital sound connection

I can find out if it is possible for sure, but IIRC the Audigy Platinum can do this. I have a friend that just bought the Audigy2 Platinum. That IIRC has the digital in ports on the front/back/on the card.... soemwhere.

Mentor

[quote author=Schotty link=board=3;threadid=6999;start=#65111 date=1052851339]
    I can find out if it is possible for sure, but IIRC the Audigy Platinum can do this. I have a friend that just bought the Audigy2 Platinum. That IIRC has the digital in ports on the front/back/on the card.... soemwhere.
    [/quote]

I just checked, it looks like it does have the Digital input. However, the ~$150 price tag will probably hold me back. Any way to find out if it is compatible with Linux, including the digital input?

Instead of the Audigy II, you can go for the original Audigy. Should be half the price of the Audigy II.
    Any way to find out if it is compatible with Linux, including the digital input?
    I know the original Audigy is, as I have it working great in Debian Woody.(Digital in/out, RCA in, etc.)
    BTW, only the Audigy Drive has a port for digital in. So you'll need the Platnum. Otherwise, If you have a skillful hand, you can get an plain OEM Audigy(about $50 from pricewatch) and wire into where the Audigy Drive would go.