Thread: SSH Not allowing users to login?

SSH Not allowing users to login?

Can't figure it out. Before I upgraded the standard install for RH8.0 worked just fine. Now with RH9 it does not allow users to login. Any suggestions?

Ras

Good Guru

Re:SSH Not allowing users to login?

Most likely is the Firewall upgrade and that it's not configured as the way you wanted it to be. I haven't used RH9 yet (I am still in 7.3 land) so I don't know what file to check but that was most likely problem with remote log in. Otherwise post your sshd.conf content.

Good Guru

Its probably the firewall with too high of a restriction and/or the ssh port blocked. Either way Compunuts is correct. Its part of the install. You should be able to rerun the (In GNOME 2.2) "Applications->System Settings->Secuity Level" tool to reconfigure it, or hack your iptables script.

Checked the firewall setup gui and both eth0 and eth1 are set to allow ssh, http and ftp.

But there is more info now. The user is able to ssh in using my ip address. It was a problem using my domain name, so how do I fix that?

Ras

Who is doing your dns and how long have you had your domain? If it is something u just got, it may take a while for your dns to start resolving to your ip. If you have had it a while, you may want to give them a call. You could also do an nslookup and see if your ip resolves.

Good Guru

[quote author=Rastar link=board=4;threadid=6942;start=0#64724 date=1052233033]
    But there is more info now. The user is able to ssh in using my ip address. It was a problem using my domain name, so how do I fix that?
    [/quote]

Add it to /etc/hosts .. That would be for intranet connections (aka, no DNS). Otherwise IIRC, wouldnt your DNS provider give the resolution of domainname.com to 1.2.3.4 ?

Good Guru

The easiest way ( if you know the IP address of the host you want to reach ) is (like Schotty said) just adding to /etc/hosts and be done with it.

You tackle with DNS only IF you want the whole world to see it. If it's only a few computers, just use local hosts file.

HTH ....

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=4;threadid=6942;start=0#64788 date=1052286545]
    If it's only a few computers, just use local hosts file.
    [/quote]

i actually disagree. on my lan i run a dns server and a dhcp server. so adding new computers is a sinch, and they can all see my other computers with names not with ips. also some of the computers aren't unices, so you can do hosts on them but it's more work.

hosts file is definatly easier to setup, dns is easier to maintain. chose whatever suits you best.

Good Guru

Setting up those servers ( thus comes with more possible security holes ) is too much work for a few ( less than 10 computers ). As long as each computer has its own hosts file, it can reach it via names as well. Plus, all hosts files are cross-platform. I use the same file for all Linux and Windows boxes that is being served by a webpage. All I do is update the file on server, access via an IP, save it as local file and all is done.

The benefit of setting up DNS and DHCP is more significant if it's midsize network. Aside from being learning how to set up those services for fun ( and keeping track of security patches which are a lot for BIND ), it's not worth the time to spend setting up and using not much out of it.

Just my opinion.

Good Guru

[quote author=gorn link=board=4;threadid=6942;start=0#64828 date=1052360038]
    [quote author=Compunuts link=board=4;threadid=6942;start=0#64788 date=1052286545]
    If it's only a few computers, just use local hosts file.
    [/quote]

i actually disagree. on my lan i run a dns server and a dhcp server. so adding new computers is a sinch, and they can all see my other computers with names not with ips. also some of the computers aren't unices, so you can do hosts on them but it's more work.

hosts file is definatly easier to setup, dns is easier to maintain. chose whatever suits you best.
    [/quote]

Possibly true. I will vote my opinion after I do my first BIND setup. I plan on doing that shortly. But at the moment I am leaning towards Compunuts' stance. If you have a small network, NIS, BIND, or LDAP may be overkill. However, a small simple hosts file with each known host setup in the dhcpd config file to have a static IP, is not that rough. It took me under a half hour to master dhcpd. Its not hard, and to have a real simple setup would in reality take about 5 minutes to setup and second to modify an exisiting file to add/remove/replace NIC settings.