Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

CD-RW drive install - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CD-RW drive install

Re:CD-RW drive install

Pb, here's a part of my current config. Notice anything that is not set in my kernel?
    Code:
    #
    # IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices
    #
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y

#
    # Please see Documentation/ide.txt for help/info on IDE drives
    #
    # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is not set
    # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD is not set
    # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK is not set
    # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_VENDOR is not set
    # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_COMMERIAL is not set
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m
    # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE is not set
    # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY is not set
    # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI is not set
    # CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL is not set

#
    Now I think I spotted something. "CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI" - should that be set and is this what is giving me this frustration?

BTW, I can always post other snippets from my config if need be.

hello,
    the ones you need are:

sg
    sr_mod
    ide-scsi
    scsi_mod
    ide-cd
    cdrom

- at least thse are loaded on my system.

here is my scsi support:
    Code:
    #
    # SCSI support
    #
    CONFIG_SCSI=m

#
    # SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
    #
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m
    CONFIG_SD_EXTRA_DEVS=4
    # CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST is not set
    # CONFIG_CHR_DEV_OSST is not set
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=m
    # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR_VENDOR is not set
    CONFIG_SR_EXTRA_DEVS=2
    CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=m
    and for block devices

Code:
    #
    # IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices
    #
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y

#
    # Please see Documentation/ide.txt for help/info on IDE drives
    #
    # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is not set
    # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD is not set
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
    CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
    # CONFIG_IDEDISK_STROKE is not set
    # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_VENDOR is not set
    # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_COMMERIAL is not set
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m
    # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE is not set
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=m
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=m
    # CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL is not set

and yes ide-scsi is needed, if i had to guess a culprit right now that would be it.

Mentor

I read this earlier today and ever since its been niggling at my brain. The first thing i thought was this.
    /dev/cdrom shouldn't be a file at all. It should just be a symbolic link to a real file. I would suggest deleting /dev/cdrom and then running ln -l /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom. I have done it myself before and it works fine.
    The second thing was this. I don't have my /dev/cdrom file linked to /dev/scd0, its linked to /dev/sr0. If I link it to /dev/scd0, I can't mount it, it tells me its not a block device. As root, try to mount /dev/sr0 to /mnt/cdrom and see what happens.
    Before trying a kernel recompile or anything else I would try that. If you can burn your cd then it is being recognised and you probably already have ide-scsi enabled. Check that in /proc/modules, and if its not just install it as a module, there is no special scsi support you need to make an IDE CD/RW work other that ide-scsi.
    HTH
    CP

<edit>Couple of typos</edit>

Ok, welp, it works now! And CP, I recompiled before seeing your post and that seemed to do it. You DO need more than ide-scsi to mount an IDE CD-RW (as I unfortunately pulled my hair out over). However, you just need ide-scsi.o for cdrecord to recognize it. I was missing a module or two that prevented me from mounting it like a regular cd-rom drive.

A big thanks to pbharris. I would have hopefully figured out eventually that it was the kernel. Glad you pointed that out and responded to everything I said in this thread. You were really helpful. ;D

p.s. - To add to this frustrating evening of Linux, after recompiling I kept getting a kernel panic, unable to mount root fs. Well after an hour or so I remembered I used pbharris' .config snippet where he used a module to load a scsi hard-drisk. I can't have that on my system without making an initrd image, so after fixing that it was fine.

Mentor

I guess that the stock kernel on Slack 9 has all I need aside from ide-scsi, glad to hear its working now though
    CP