Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nfs install didnt work, why?

nfs install didnt work, why?

Ok, I tried several times to do an nfs install of rh7.1 for some practice and general s&g's. Got the bootnet.img on the disk, booted up, setup networking, found the server, started the install. Bam. It faults out at around 60% every time. It fails flawlessly on arpwatch. Figured it must be a bad spot on the cd, so I unclicked arpwatch during the next install, bam faulted out again on another package, etc... So, I did a standard cd install, and everything worked. So obviously my cds are good and there must be another problem. There is no network traffic, as my two puters are the only ones on the lan. Plenty o bandwidth between the two. So where can the problem lie? Anyone ever try this and get it to work?

Re:nfs install didnt work, why?

Never an easy one to give up, I tried to do an ftp install last night. For some unknown reason, It finally decided to try the ftp install. So, Im rolling along, its installing and gets a little past 50% and hangs. Now, I did notice that for some reason that the packages that it hangs on all start with the letter "a". Is this important or not? I dont know. Last night it hung on apache-manual, the other times it hung on arpwatch, and it hung once on another name, but it started with "a" also. I think I am gonna try a different version and see what happens with that, other than that, Im outa ideas. WTF,O?

Your computer isnt made by lockheed martin is it? Crappy, loser "im an engineer, I dont have to explain myself to you" pissboy bleedin heart losers.

Hey Matt, how's the install going? :-*
    You at home yet?Gimme a call.

Good Guru

bad cds?

Thats what Im thinking but it installs fine from the cd-rom. Think Im gonna try a 7.3 install and if that works, then Im calling the media bad.

Here is a question. During an NFS or FTP install, does one need to copy all of the rpms from all three cd's into the same rpm directory for the install to work?

Good Guru

3.7.1. Setting Up the Server

Because the Red Hat Linux 9 installation program is capable of installing Red Hat Linux from multiple CD-ROMs, if you intend to support NFS, FTP, or HTTP installations you must copy the RedHat directory from each CD-ROM comprising Red Hat Linux 9 onto a disk drive (in other words, you must create an installation tree):

Tip Tip

An installation tree is the location for all files needed to run and install the Red Hat Linux operating system.

An ISO image is a file containing an exact copy of a CD-ROM disk image. Because Red Hat Linux has so many packages included with its distribution, there are several ISO images available.

An installation tree differs from an ISO image in that ISO images are broken down into smaller subsets of files which the installation program then calls for per ISO image, while an installation tree contains all the necessary files in one complete file structure. Individual ISO images can be combined to create an installation tree.

For each binary CD-ROM, execute the following commands:

o

mount /mnt/cdrom
    o

cp -var /mnt/cdrom/RedHat /location/of/disk/space

Where /location/of/disk/space is a directory you create such as /export/9/.
    o

umount /mnt/cdrom

Note that the Release Notes are not included in the RedHat directory. Unless they are specifically copied over, the Release Notes will not be available during your installation of Red Hat Linux.

The Release Notes are also available online from http://www.redhat.com/docs.

Next, make /location/of/disk/space accessible to the installation program (for example, exporting it for NFS installations) by editing the /etc/exports file and adding the line:

/location/of/disk/space *(ro)

Finally, run the following command to make /location/of/disk/space available as read-only to each system to mount:

/sbin/service nfs reload

Additionally, if a file called updates.img exists in the directory from which you install, then it will be used for installation program updates. Refer to the file install-methods.txt in the anaconda RPM package for detailed information on the various ways to install Red Hat Linux, as well as how to apply the installation program updates.

If you are not sure how to do this, refer to the Red Hat Linux Customization Guide and the Red Hat Linux Reference Guide for more information.
    3.7.1.1. Using ISO Images for NFS Installs

NFS installations can use ISO (or CD-ROM) images rather than copying an entire installation tree. After placing the required ISO images (the binary Red Hat Linux CD-ROMs) in a directory, choose to install via NFS. You will then point the installation program at that directory to perform the installation.

Verifying that the ISO images are intact before you attempt an installation will help to avoid problems that are often encountered during an NFS installation. To verify the ISO images are intact prior to performing an installation, use an md5sum program (many md5sum programs are available for various operating systems). An md5sum program should be available on the same server as the ISO images.

Note Note

ISO images have an md5sum embedded in them. To test the checksum integrity of an ISO image, at the installation boot prompt, type:

boot: linux mediacheck

Additionally, if a file called updates.img exists in the directory from which you install, then it will be used for installation program updates. Refer to the file install-methods.txt in the anaconda RPM package for detailed information on the various ways to install Red Hat Linux, as well as how to apply the installation program updates.

Note Note

You can only have the ISO images for one release of Red Hat Linux in the directory.

Yeah I found that after I asked the question. I thought to myself, I said "Self, Maybe I should see if there is a fm for network installs, so then I may rtfm." Thanks Schotty.

Good Guru

Well, I have all of that on CDROM so I figured why not ? Eh

Lemme know how well that works. I am thinking of making a local NFS mirror of the latest RH distros for quick installs. Plus a sweet kickstart for a decent install. Gotta practice ;D