Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

DSL Modem

Thread: DSL Modem

DSL Modem

I've just got DSL in my area and trying to get it setup using Windows for now. One problem I don't like about it is the provider is SBC/Yahoo DSL and now you have to install their crappy software(aohell)! >

Anyway installation went fine except that the dsl ethernet modem should have 3 green lights which should stay on constantly. The DSL light only blinks green, which it is one of the three that should stay green.

I had SBC dsl a couple of years ago before they gave you their software and could connect without any problems using Linux & Windows.

Any one use SBC/Yahoo DSL and have any suggestions/ideas on this problem? The ethernet modem is a speedstream 5100.

I'm at work now and would have to call their tech support in morning.

Thnx.

Re:DSL Modem

Useful links;
    Roaring Penguin Nifty scripts to setup PPPoE.
    sbc Dns Find the proper nameserver for your location.

If this is an external modem ( non USB ) you should have no problems setting your connection with Roaring Penguin. Also the LED labeled as DSL should stay solid, however shotty wiring ( either phone line, or phone jack ) can make it go haywire, that or your provider has spotty service which constantly drops your connection. Hope that helped you some...

I did goto their website and looked around but didn't really see anything about this situation.

I'm going to call them later today.

Mentor

I have used DSL for years just until recently, and I know that if you don't have all 3 lights on, your modem is not communicating with the provider. The problem might be on the provider's side, so the only thing to do is call their tech support.

You might not be provisioned yet. I had SBC when I was in San Diego, Ca and my gear came about 2 weeks before my line was actually provisioned.

Sounds like it is the same problem. I would do a raytheon reset. (power cycle) on the modem and if you are running a hub the same there as well.

If you are running a hub make sure it is setup correctly, DHCP and your username and password need to be there I also believe SBC requires a hostname.

Ras

Good Guru

Well first off, are you even talking to the CO ? If your line is dead, then I would say, you need to get SBC to connect you up ;D . If the line is sending your DSL converter a gateway IP, IP, and if your ISP supports it (doubt it, SBC/Midwest apparently doesnt, so yours most likely wont) DNS addresses, then I agree with Rastar, you need to get provisioned.

Ok, after talking with their TS, it should be an active connection. Their going to send out the line tech person to check the outside lines and maybe my inside phone jack.

I once had this happen in a different part of town and they claim dsl was available for the area and it wasn't available at all, so I'm now living not too far from that old area and beginning to believe it's not available yet!

Good Guru

My complex used to be that I can't get DSL signal so I went with @Home, then ATTBI and now Comcrap. Since they are raising monthly premium ( to ~ $ 54 from current $ 45 ), I was thinking of switching back to DSL.

Today, I looked at my complex's wiring box and saw some YahooDSL hookups there so I guess we can get DSL now.

But before I order it, I would love to have your experience with them before hand and would appreciate how you doing with your Linux and DSL hookup.

[quote author=GhostDawg link=board=4;threadid=6958;start=0#64772 date=1052272309]
    Ok, after talking with their TS, it should be an active connection. Their going to send out the line tech person to check the outside lines and maybe my inside phone jack.

I once had this happen in a different part of town and they claim dsl was available for the area and it wasn't available at all, so I'm now living not too far from that old area and beginning to believe it's not available yet!

[/quote]

Give the following a try they will tell you if you are within the CO range

www.dslreports.com
    Rastar

Well as I mention earlier, this new location I'm living in does not offer DSL at this time, even though they told me it was available and sent the self-install kit. I kinda figured it wouldn't be, because of the area I'm living in. They probably will offer it sometimes down the road! >

We have cable internet access, Charter.com. But they say it won't be available in my area until sometime in June.

Anybody use Charter Communication for net access? What are the pro's & con's?

Thnx.