Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Souping Up The Eye Candy...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Souping Up The Eye Candy...

Souping Up The Eye Candy...

Is there any programs that can be used to soup up the eye candy of gnome 2.4? Also, are there any rpms, because I am really starting to hate compiling software...
    My Website: http://ttgale.com
    My Website Uptime: http://img.uptimeprj.com/holastickbo...dee9bae2e2.png
    My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Hate compiling??????!!!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!!!! *******KICKS******

**ahem**

Anyway, give gDesklets a whirl they seem to be a pretty good knock off of the SuperKaramba bit for KDE, they look nice.

**I hate compiling too**

(/me runs and hides under a Debian mirror server...)

Quote Originally Posted by kungfuramone9
    **I hate compiling too**

(/me runs and hides under a Debian mirror server...)

I dont know what is wrong with you kids.........

What is the name of that program that makes an RPM out of a program you are compiling and installing? I should really use it, I have heard it makes uninstalling easier too. What the heck was it called....I think somebody made a GUI for it too at some point.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Advisor
    checkinstall will make rpm slackpack or debs

ZennouRyuu, nice graphic.

What's wrong with me: compiling never works. I have succesfully compiled + installed one, count 'em, *one* program in the history of me using Linux. I have never been a coder but I consider myself waaaay past newbie status with building Linux machines. It's just that every time I try to install something with the old ./configure make make install sequence, it chokes on ./configure with precisely ZERO helpful error verbiage. I managed to get past the "can't find X includes" junk when I installed a bunch of libraries a while back but now the few programs I've tried in the last few weeks choke somewhere else.

Point is, apt-get install is _so_ much easier and more reliable.

That bitch session being posted, I'm all ears if you or anyone has any handy compilation tips.

Well, the problem probobly isnt the source, its more than likely a missing dependancy, make sure you have all the needed libs (and the right versions) for the app your are compiling, also make sure that your distro didnt place the libs in some obscure location never to be found again.

I have built my entire system from source and havent had but a few apps fail to compile (mostly CVS development apps which is to be expected). Pretty much the ONLY pre-compiled binaries are my NVidia GLX driver, and the commercial games I love to play

The worst thing about compiling is the time it takes to get the smallest thing working! Not only that, I hate it when it can't find a dependancy that is already on the system! Friggin compiling!!! :evil:
    My Website: http://ttgale.com
    My Website Uptime: http://img.uptimeprj.com/holastickbo...dee9bae2e2.png
    My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Yeah, the dependency problems are really the crap thing about compiling; it's appealing that if the app *does* install it's optimized for your system hardware and everything, but to be stuck unable to figure out what lib or where lib is holding you up is pretty taxing. The whole point of the various package management systems (rpm, apt, whatever it is gentoo uses...) was to mitigate the difficulty of installing and uninstalling.

Of course, having a 100% compiled system does give you hella bragging rights...